Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #61  
Doesn't seem like it would be asking too much for all tractors to come with a swinging drawbar as standard equipment. I don't think it would bother for towing a trailer if it was off to the side, and then you wouldn't have to worry about interfering with PTO shafts.
Unless you are towing something that is PTO powered (like a baler, mower conditioner, etc) which needs to be able ot turn equally well on both directions.
Most tractors will let you slide the drawbar in quite a bit, I do that on our L3830 when hooking up the bushhog.

Aaron Z

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #62  
I have seen several PTO implements that use a grade 8 bolt for the shear pin, so it does not surprise me in the least (and I've only been at this tractor thing for a couple years).

I do have to remove the drawbar on my tractor for certain implements. There is always visible clearance around the drawbar, but it's not enough to handle all those cases you can't predict, such as when the implement drops in a dip or something. Better to make sure that PTO shaft has plenty of room around it.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #63  
Unless you are towing something that is PTO powered (like a baler, mower conditioner, etc) which needs to be able ot turn equally well on both directions.
Most tractors will let you slide the drawbar in quite a bit, I do that on our L3830 when hooking up the bushhog.

Aaron Z

or just remove it altogether.

my 7610s has the option to slide in or remove.. etc..

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #64  
or just remove it altogether.
my 7610s has the option to slide in or remove.. etc..
Could, but then you have to remember where it is stored and (for those of us who don't have a tractor dedicated to each piece of equipment ;)) it could result in having to go back to the barn to get the drawbar so that the haywagon can be hitched up...

Aaron Z

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #65  
Could, but then you have to remember where it is stored and (for those of us who don't have a tractor dedicated to each piece of equipment ;)) it could result in having to go back to the barn to get the drawbar so that the haywagon can be hitched up...

Aaron Z

yep.. as a matter of fact on that 7610s.. the DB is slid in and it is hitched to the 15' batwing.. as it has been for some years now. pins probably pretty tight at this point.. :)

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #66  
I was always under the impression that shear pins had to be hardened, such as a grade 5 or 8 bolt so that they would break cleanly. Using soft bolts as shear pins are too malleable and risks the bolt not shearing clean and jamming the pto shaft collar on the input shaft of the implement making it very difficult to separate the spun pto shaft.

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #67  
of all the pto powered equopment I have with shear pins. only 1 specs a hard bolt.. the rest spec a soft bolt.

the one that specs a hard bolt is a plate/flange joint.. and it's some quite small diameter bolt.

IE.. read the manual and use what it specs.. etc..

/ Cautionary tale. Check your Shear Bolts and get a fire extinguisher for your tractor #68  
Well to the OP, thanks for sharing your truthful experience. I'm sure you have made many people consider getting a FE on the tractor or at the very least put a few in strategic spots.