A word of caution

/ A word of caution #1  

Loghomeguy

Tractor
John Deere 4044
If anyone has a vertical exhaust pipe that doesn't have a flapper, do yourself a favor and put one on. I have a JD 850 and the exhaust just went and kinda started to turn to the right and was sawed off. It worked fine till I left it out during a good rain storm and it happened to be parked on a little bit of a slope. If you've never heard of "hyro-locked" it's not good. Bent a rod and cost me $1400 in parts. While I had it tore down I pretty much rebuilt everything. New pistons, sleeves, one new rod, had the head worked. Anyway I took a sawsall and cut the exhaust pipe of square and installed a flapper. A lesson learned the hard way. That was six years ago I think, still runs like a top.

/ A word of caution #2  
We used to have a Ford 1900 that had a stack. It did have a hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold just below where the pipe fitted on. This was supposed to allow it to drain.

That said, we used to keep a soda can with the top cut out to place over the pipe when the tractor was not in use. We never had a problem from the water, but we did find there were times when the water did not drain as it was supposed to ... thus, the reason we started using the can.

I would agree that the pipe should either turn fully or a flapper.

/ A word of caution #3  
Had a flapper. But it rattled with the exhaust. Replaced it with a can. I would rather have the flapper. Having forgot to replace the can a few times after use. Anyone have a solution to a noisy flapper?

/ A word of caution #4  
Anyone have a solution to a noisy flapper?

You can drill a small hole in the weighted side, run a bolt through and add nuts or washers until it will open the flap at an idle.

/ A word of caution #5  
You can drill a small hole in the weighted side, run a bolt through and add nuts or washers until it will open the flap at an idle.

Now that's pretty smart :thumbsup:

/ A word of caution #7  
Yes, solution is curved pipe. I thought most large tractors had gone to that many years ago due to the poor reliability of the flapper and consequences of failure. Also most exhaust systems do have a drain but it can't keep up with a real downpour.

/ A word of caution #9  
I have a perfectly shaped squarish plastic kendall oil qt.jug that I cut the top off and slide over the pipe.Same jug for at least ten years.Works great! Just wait a coupla'minutes for the end of the pipe to cool a lil'.:) don-ohio

/ A word of caution #10  
i use a coffee or dog food can on all my machines with stacks and no flap caps.

cheap.. easy, and makes a neat whump when you start the tractro and it blows the cap off inthe barn.. :)