Loader OK to leave my loader up?

/ OK to leave my loader up? #31  
As your equipment ages, the likelyhood of the loader staying up without movement gets pretty low. See your doctor if your loader remains erected for more than 4 hours....

/ OK to leave my loader up? #32  
I agree with many others regarding leaving the FEL down. I leave my down at all times. I don't leave the keys in the ignition either, just in case one of our Grandchildren come over to visit.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #33  
I don't have kids; but I need to raise the 4200's bucket up high so I can drive the L130 in and out. When the bucket is up high, I engage the loader lever lock that Deere provides. It won't prevent a slow leak-down, or a rapid drop due to pressure loss; but it will prevent the loader lever from being moved. Once the L130 is in or out, I drop the bucket and depressurize (de-energize) the system.

You drive under a raised bucket? No way in ****... The only way I work on hydraulics over my head is with some sort of mechanical safety device. Jack stand, prop rods etc.

I dump pressure in my loader as well with it on the ground when it gets parked or left any significant amount of time.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #34  
As long as you have a safety brace should not be a problem , can't tell from your pictures . Lift the loader set the brace and set the loader on it . And those rods are not going to rust . We park machinery exposed and have had no problems . Those rods have a microscopic film of oil on them ,I have yet to see any rust .

2x in your case to gain so much more usable floor space in your shop.

The cylinder lock option looks useful but you do not need to spend $1000. I would just get me a 4x4 and cut it just a little shorter than where the rod comes out of the cylinder end and notch it slightly do it does not slip and lower the bucket until each cylinder outer housing lightly equally tags each 4x4 that you just rested against the cylinder rod.

As stated the is no chance of rust plus with the bucket at nearly full height there is much less gravity involved.

We just drop the bucket but we are parked outside in the open where space is not limited. I do like to block ours up when it is in the way of servicing.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #35  
For a safety stop all you need is a couple of pieces of angle iron cut to the correct length and ty-raps to hold them in place. We put two angle iron edge to edge on each piston, hard to explain, cross section would look like this: <O> You could probably use velcro instead of ty-raps so you don't have the hassle of cutting them each time.

I like this one too but material and cutting wise the 4x4 would just be more doable in my case and offer no delay in a rushed exit from the shop because you could just start driving/towing and dropping the bucket.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #36  
You drive under a raised bucket? No way in ****...

It's not my preferred method of getting the L130 in and out of its parking space; but I'm only slightly under there for a few seconds, and I completely understand the calculated risk, and accept responsibility for my actions.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #37  
Just don't anyone fasten hooks from their rafters as a redneck safety to make sure the FEL doesn't drop. You can bet you will forget one day and start to back out and take half your structure with you. Oopps.

Last edited:
   / OK to leave my loader up? #38  
I even had my dog trained to not come close to the tractor until she heard the bucket come down.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #39  
I use a piece of angle steel as a boom cylinder lock and leave my loader securely propped up all the time in my shed. I lower the cylinder against the lock so tiewraps, velcro, etc are unnecessary. One prop is sufficient, if two makes somebody feel better, so be it. If this method satisfies OSHA as being acceptable for use in repair shops, (and it is) I'm OK with it, and this community should be as well.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #40  
You drive under a raised bucket? No way in ****... The only way I work on hydraulics over my head is with some sort of mechanical safety device. Jack stand, prop rods etc.

I dump pressure in my loader as well with it on the ground when it gets parked or left any significant amount of time.

I probably shouldn't tell you about crawling under the brush hog to unwind fence wire ( would have had to drive all the way back to the barn to prop it) or lifting the loader part way up to grease it. I think this falls under the heading of "Acceptable Risk". Next thing you'll tell me is I shouldn't crawl under my tractor without propping the back tires up in case they blowout causing me to be trapped underneath it . Life has risks.

Jeff