Loader OK to leave my loader up?

/ OK to leave my loader up? #41  
I probably shouldn't tell you about crawling under the brush hog to unwind fence wire ( would have had to drive all the way back to the barn to prop it) or lifting the loader part way up to grease it. I think this falls under the heading of "Acceptable Risk".

If the hydraulics were to fail as you're under the brush hog or the loader you'd be thinking differently... in a hurry.

As far as "Acceptable Risk" is concerned, I think risks such as the one's you cited are easily mitigated by planning ahead. You know you may encounter fence wire when brush hogging so having something to prop it up with (just in case) would mitigate that risk, with the same being true for working on the loader.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #42  
I probably shouldn't tell you about crawling under the brush hog to unwind fence wire ( would have had to drive all the way back to the barn to prop it) or lifting the loader part way up to grease it. I think this falls under the heading of "Acceptable Risk". Next thing you'll tell me is I shouldn't crawl under my tractor without propping the back tires up in case they blowout causing me to be trapped underneath it . Life has risks.

Jeff

Telling us about it is one thing; it sucks to read about it in the newspaper.

"Acceptable Risk" and "Unnecessary Risk" are decidedly different categories.

Consider the affect of a serious injury or death on loved ones if you care little about your own health & safety.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #43  
If the hydraulics were to fail as you're under the brush hog or the loader you'd be thinking differently... in a hurry.

As far as "Acceptable Risk" is concerned, I think risks such as the one's you cited are easily mitigated by planning ahead. You know you may encounter fence wire when brush hogging so having something to prop it up with (just in case) would mitigate that risk, with the same being true for working on the loader.
I am with being safe as much as the next guy, but come on folks much of what you are siting has about as much chance of happening as getting hit by a meteorite. Lifting up your FEL to drive a lawnmower out from under it and having it accidently blow 2 hydraulic hoses and fall on you is pretty slim to none chance. Having hydraulic failure is also pretty slim to none chance. I would almost guarantee that if someone is trapped under a piece of hydraulic equipment, it was because of human error, someone let it down on them, not because the hoses blew or the earth suddenly increased gravity to the extent that the hydraulics could no longer hold the equipment up.
After saying that, I do have a 4x4 block that I have especially cut to set up under my bush hog if I need to work on it but this was because my old Yanmar leaked down. I would trust my LS to hold the 3 PH up for months and not leak down which it has done many times. If you have kids, grandkids, wife, etc that wander around and mess with your tractors, DO lower, lock, take precautions to keep them from hurting you or themselves. I have no issue leaving my 3 PH raised if I want or the FEL if I want which by the way has to be raised up to get to the grill protector which has to be moved out in order to raise the hood. You can do it with it down but you have to be a contortionist and it is a head knocker for walking around so I raise mine up if I need to be under the hood and don't worry about it falling on me because no one is out playing around in the cab (I could lock it up if it were ) To me that is Acceptable RISK. NOW would I crawl under my raised disc to work on it, **** no even though I know it isn't going to fall, the consequences are too great if it did, so that is not an acceptable risk.
Working on the tractor with FEL up, no risk as if it did come down it is not a pinch factor (unless one were standing under the bucket which there is no reason to do that), just tight quarters.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #44  
Any issues with parking my tractors with the loaders up? Takes up way less walking room in the barn with the buckets in the air, but am I causing any premature damage by doing it?

And/or, is there an acceptable time/period that is safe to leave them up?

Thanks in advance

View attachment 302682

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

SAFETY....dont want kids playing farmerand drop bucket on another....rhc

/ OK to leave my loader up?
LOL, you guys are cracking me up. I'm always a safety first guy too, once again, the point of this thread was addressing any concerns 4 damage and wear & tear to my loader, if I leave it up for any length of time.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #46  
Just passed by a job site they had it parked for the night with arms raised and loaded with scaffold boards, etc.

My welding shop owner's BH did belong to his late BIL before the FEL came down and crushed him when he was working on it.

He was using ropes to make it go up and down while he was under it and the user designed rope control system failed for some reason.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #47  
I am with being safe as much as the next guy, but come on folks much of what you are siting has about as much chance of happening as getting hit by a meteorite.

Perhaps, but it only takes once to kill you. Trust me, I know.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #48  
I use a piece of angle steel as a boom cylinder lock and leave my loader securely propped up all the time in my shed. I lower the cylinder against the lock so tiewraps, velcro, etc are unnecessary. One prop is sufficient, if two makes somebody feel better, so be it. If this method satisfies OSHA as being acceptable for use in repair shops, (and it is) I'm OK with it, and this community should be as well.

This is exactly what should be done if you plan on doing something under the bucket, even just driving under it for a split second.

I probably shouldn't tell you about crawling under the brush hog to unwind fence wire ( would have had to drive all the way back to the barn to prop it) or lifting the loader part way up to grease it. I think this falls under the heading of "Acceptable Risk". Next thing you'll tell me is I shouldn't crawl under my tractor without propping the back tires up in case they blowout causing me to be trapped underneath it . Life has risks.Jeff

Its your life, only you can determine how you go through it. I for one dont want to be found under some implement hours/ a day or two later suffocating under its weight or bleeding a slow death. You never know, thats the point. Even if its just something stupid like a log laying there or a rock thicker than your body is all it could take to save your life. I've had a lot of oh **** moments to the point I know when its not worth it or thought out how it could have went. I've been lucky and it opened my eyes.. I know you dont think it can happen or the chances are slim, but the bad luck floats around and lands on someone everyday! Im sure we could all share stories of seeing bad things happen, which really leads me to wonder why dont you guys think its all that unlikely this stuff couldnt happen to you?

LOL, you guys are cracking me up. I'm always a safety first guy too, once again, the point of this thread was addressing any concerns 4 damage and wear & tear to my loader, if I leave it up for any length of time.

No, it wont damage anything. Everyone is just addressing how dumb it is to do so without making sure it cannot come down without some sort mechanical locking device.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #49  
Just passed by a job site they had it parked for the night with arms raised and loaded with scaffold boards, etc.

My welding shop owner's BH did belong to his late BIL before the FEL came down and crushed him when he was working on it.

He was using ropes to make it go up and down while he was under it and the user designed rope control system failed for some reason.

Now see, this is the kind of stupid **** that kills people. It wasn't working under the backhoe with the engine off, it was an idiot and the gene pool is cleaner now.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #50  
Perhaps, but it only takes once to kill you. Trust me, I know.
I worked heavy construction for 45 years (never injured more than a band aid fix)and saw a few folks killed and a few hurt pretty bad. Never was it equipment failure, it was always lack of attention to ones surroundings either by the person injured or someone else, like a person dropping something onto someone else or someone doing something so idiotic that there was no way they wouldn't suffer from the consequences. Pay attention, think "what if", make preparations for worst case and then do the job. The most dangerous place in the world is your bathtub but I am not going to stop bathing because of it, but I also am not going into a room full of gun powder and strike a match. Will I walk under an un-blocked hydraulic controlled FEL, absolutely as long as no one is in close proximity to the controls. I trust the equipment not to fail, but I wouldn't trust anyone to not touch the controls or hit the wrong one. Would I walk under something with ropes or cables holding it up, no way, I've seen them break without warning.