Loader OK to leave my loader up?

/ OK to leave my loader up? #51  
I use a piece of angle steel as a boom cylinder lock and leave my loader securely propped up all the time in my shed. I lower the cylinder against the lock so tiewraps, velcro, etc are unnecessary. One prop is sufficient, if two makes somebody feel better, so be it. If this method satisfies OSHA as being acceptable for use in repair shops, (and it is) I'm OK with it, and this community should be as well.

We used the angle iron with a hose clamp many times when setting up prototype machinery that used cylinders and it works well. One word of caution is to look at what the end of the angle iron bears against on the cylinder gland. (end of the cylinder) Some cylinders are a bit fragile in this area and could be damaged by the angle iron imprinting but not likely. We made production transport locks which consisted of a u-shaped piece in lieu of angle iron to which a flat horseshoe shaped piece of metal was welded to each end. The shaped piece provided much more surface area to bear against the cylinder body. Some of the service locks seen on equipment are hinged on one end over the cylinder pin so they can be simply pivoted up out of the way to disengage the lock. This requires some type of retainer to keep the lock disengaged while gravity keeps it engaged otherwise. Combine headers are a good example of this safety device. That brings the thought that there are thousands of combines around the world parked with the header raised and not locked. Yes, it is a safety issue for sure.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #52  
I worked heavy construction for 45 years (never injured more than a band aid fix)and saw a few folks killed and a few hurt pretty bad. Never was it equipment failure

I'm not at liberty to discuss the details, but I almost died due to equipment failure and continue to suffer as a result of it. It may not happen often, and we may get lucky 1000000000 times, but as I said, it only takes once. Come to think of it, dumb luck is why I'm able to type this message, as opposed to being dead.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #53  
Combine headers are similar to loaders. During my first year at work another guy and I climbed under a corn head to clear vines wrapped around the snapping rolls. We failed to engage the safety ram stop. While we were working, engine stopped, no one around the controls, an o-ring happened to blow and the corn head came down. Fortunately it took a couple seconds to drop so we were able to scramble out but lesson learned. Mechanical things do fail without human intervention - is it really worth the risk? I also had to ,look at the coroners pictures of two guys crushed under a falling corn head. In this case we proved it was their fault and so were not liable but they lost their lives for the sake of saving the minute or so it takes to set a safety stop. My brother in law got a good deal on a combine because it was a killer. The first time the owner was pinned under the head somebody saw him and raised it so all he got was bruises. The second time the people who discovered his body also found the scratch marks where he tried to claw dirt as he was slowly asphyxiated. No, I want to be shot by a jealous husband, not die under a piece of equipment.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #54  
   / OK to leave my loader up? #55  
I got into the habit a long time ago of setting the bucket down every time I got off the tractor when all I had was a tractor without brakes. Now that I have brakes I still set the bucket down.

This! Except I still don't have brakes and the bucket and 3 point are gonna leak down anyway.

Maybe someday I'll own some nicer equipment.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #56  
Sounds like TSO and some others here just need bigger barns or sheds!!!!! That will completely solve the issue of not having enough room to walk around, or drive under stuff! Don't we all need bigger barns lol.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #57  
I store my loader up to free up floor space and use angle iron with zip ties attached in 4 places to prevent contact with the cylinder rod.
As mentioned care must be taken not to damage the gland seal.
I did not read all the posts so I will mention that you must not store the loader in the fully up position especially if the tractor is cold and will be stored in a warm area.
The problem is that as the hydraulic oil warms it expands and will create excessive pressure if the loader is fully up, there is no pressure relief to bleed pressure off.
I drop my loader down to the supports and leave it in the float position to prevent it from rising and allowing the supports to fall out.
90cummins

/ OK to leave my loader up? #58  
Just don't anyone fasten hooks from their rafters as a redneck safety to make sure the FEL doesn't drop. You can bet you will forget one day and start to back out and take half your structure with you. Oopps.
I resemble this one.

Although when I 'tied my bucket to the rafters', I also had a butchered 300 lb hog hanging from the bucket overnight.

/ OK to leave my loader up? #59  
I probably shouldn't tell you about crawling under the brush hog to unwind fence wire ( would have had to drive all the way back to the barn to prop it) or lifting the loader part way up to grease it. I think this falls under the heading of "Acceptable Risk". Next thing you'll tell me is I shouldn't crawl under my tractor without propping the back tires up in case they blowout causing me to be trapped underneath it . Life has risks.

Jeff
You bet it does.

It's up to you if you want to fess up for acting foolish at times, but it's still your decision and your the one that's there.