Battery Tender/Trickle Charger

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #51  
I have had one of these for a couple of years now. It's the best that I have ever owned.

All-In-One "Deep Cycle"

Their written description doesn't list flooded lead acid (conventional) batteries - I suspect that may just be an oversight in the text ?

Rgds, D.

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #52  
We use Phase Three Smartchargers here at work for our deep cycle Optima battery banks at work for the main engine/generator electronics. There rated for lead acid, gel, flooded, agm, or sealed 12-cell. They work well. I dont have any at home, but gonna start investing in some. my old 4 wheeler dont get used much any more since we have the ranger, the battery is alway dead on it when I want to use it. LUTT

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #53  
We use Phase Three Smartchargers here at work for our deep cycle Optima battery banks at work for the main engine/generator electronics. There rated for lead acid, gel, flooded, agm, or sealed 12-cell. They work well. I dont have any at home, but gonna start investing in some. my old 4 wheeler dont get used much any more since we have the ranger, the battery is alway dead on it when I want to use it. LUTT

A couple of things impress me with these latest generation of Small, Smart but Simple chargers:

(Ctek, Bosch, Noco....)

1) The switching frequency is probably higher (power electronics), as you are getting over 3 amps out of a relatively small unit. You can realistically top up a battery that is a little low with one of these, instead of hauling out a 10A+ charger.

2) They allow you to bump the voltage a bit, for cold temperature charging, or topping up an AGM.

3) Last but not least - IP65 rating. I have vehicles parked outside that I rotate chargers on - with a non-sealed larger charger (ie. hard to fit under a hood) I may think "should charge that battery today, but the weather looks iffy", and another week goes by.....

I do shield the Ctek I'm using from the weather, but have no qualms leaving it on an outdoor vehicle, tractor.... for days or longer.

Charge ! :lightningbolt:

Rgds, D.

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #54  
I've had three of the Battery Minders over the years. Two died. Pried one apart (can't resist) to see if I could find a poor solder joint or something similar I could fix. No joy. I haven't chucked them, but was disappointed. Neither lasted over five years, always used indoors, sometimes all winter but not mishandled.
Anyone know how they most likely die? Could it be if the battery shorts or presents a huge load it is too much for the charger? There were a pair if bad batteries... I did buy another, cause they work well. YMMV, obviously.
Jim

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #55  
I've had three of the Battery Minders over the years. Two died. Pried one apart (can't resist) to see if I could find a poor solder joint or something similar I could fix. No joy. I haven't chucked them, but was disappointed. Neither lasted over five years, always used indoors, sometimes all winter but not mishandled.
Anyone know how they most likely die? Could it be if the battery shorts or presents a huge load it is too much for the charger? There were a pair if bad batteries... I did buy another, cause they work well. YMMV, obviously.
Jim

I am glad you posted that. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Battery Minder or another Noco Genius. I am definitely not getting a battery Minder. I had some of those black and Decker maintainers I have gone through 4 of them. 2 under warranty and one barely got wet and it was done

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #56  
Their written description doesn't list flooded lead acid (conventional) batteries - I suspect that may just be an oversight in the text ?

Rgds, D.

I use mine for the tractor, trucks, ATV's, and lawn tractor.

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #57  
I have had some issues with keeping batteries on various equipment batteries charged. Things like the lawn mower, ATV etc have presented me with dead batteries in the last several months.

Have any of you used or have first hand experience with battery tender type devices? Are they worth the $35 plus? Or is are they a lot of hype?
I've got about 5 "Battery Minders" (as opposed to Battery Tenders) all working in my garage on all kinds of equipment, from tractors, cars with two batterys, to lawn tractors. I've had some "garage queens" hooked for 5 years and they start first time, every time, just like you ran them yesterday. The only problem I've ever had is the couple of GFI outlets. They will sometimes click off if draw is low (like a Battery Tender), and a dead outlet/charger = a dead battery. Money well spent. I'd be lost without them.

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #59  
I've played around with a several battery tenders, and I've ruined two when they get wet or covered by snow. Currently I have a Harbor Freight 1.5 amp one on my tractor (Optima battery) and a 5W solar one on my plow truck.

So far, the battery that has lasted me the longest, including several 4 month stints in the barn during the winter months, is a 9-year-old Daimler Chrysler battery in my 2004 Jeep TJ that I've never hooked a battery tender to. Go figure.

/ Battery Tender/Trickle Charger #60  
I have 4 ATV's, 2 MC's, 2 Tractors and 2 mowers. Every one has it's own tender. I got tired of buying batteries! Occasionally the Batterries do need to be replaced, yet this has extended most of their lives by at least double. If you have a battery that is old and going out. The Tender is not going to do much for you. As soon as you get a new battery or new toy get a Tender on it from the start. I have bought most of my Tenders from Ron Ayers Motorsports see if this link works:BATTERY TENDER JR 12V - General Accessories>Miscellaneous Accessories : 0210123
$27.38

Last edited: