First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed?

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
G'day all. As background information (not to boast) I've just bought a JD4105 CUT. Goodies include 300CX loader with 4in1 bucket & pallet fork/bale spike combo, 655 rotary tiller, 1200 slasher and a chain harrow. Nothing has been delivered yet as, living in Tassie, everything has to come from mainland Australia.

I'm not that mechanically inclined (if the Ute doesn't start in the morning = it's broken:confused3:), electronics was my trade in the Navy, but I'm learning in my old age. One thing that I like to be is prepared so, with the information provided, can you fine TractorByNet fellows advise me what I should have in my shed to maintain my rig(s). Basic stuff plus 'tricks of the trade' that a newbie needs to have around.

Let me bask in your wisdom and experience.

Ta.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #2  
First thing that came to mind was a grease gun and good quality grease. The pto u joints, steering and maybe transmission linkages and loader pivot points will all require regular greasing

Second thing that came to mind is on the 655 tiller the bolts mounting the gear box onto the top of the tiller tend to vibrate loose very quickly. I think I lost one the first time I used the tiller, and I kept losing them until I took them all out and coated them in red locktite.

That is all I can think if right now, as it is 04:00 am, and I am working nightshift. My brain is mushy. I can't wait to get to bed in two hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #3  
Agreed on the grease gun and would add a good oil can. I would get a good torque wrench or two, of course a full set of hand tools. I like a air compressor and impact wrench.

I like adjustable oil filter wrenches like this, but you will need some good ones as filters are often hard to remove at least the original ones.
KD Tools Universal 3-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench - Tools - Mechanics & Auto Tools - Automotive Specialty Tools

Of course waterless hand cleaner, paper towels, nitrile gloves.

Good jack stands, floor jack, work lights.

Probably more, but I can't think of them off hand.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #4  
In the full set of hand tools be sure to get a socket set that goes up to the largest size bolt head you have on the loader frame and your wheel hubs. Inch drive up to 1 1/4" or 30 mm if your unit is metric.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #5  
Good advice so far. I'll add a strap wrench for filter removal. And a big tub - big enough to drain all the oil out of your transmission - I use a plastic laundry storage bin thathas a snap on lid which keeps the dust out when not in use.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #6  
Ditto on all the above...really like my electric grease gun, not a necessity, but sure makes the routine greasing a lot easier...a fluke meter would also be a good addition...

Rich

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #7  
+1 on the things already mentioned.

Knowing that you have some shipping challenges an extra filter for everthing that needs a filter - oil, hydraulics, fuel filters would be a good idea. Enough oil to do a complete change - crankcase oil and hydraulic oil. The grease and grease gun as already recommended. Restock immediately after using is a good idea.

A tire plug kit and possibly inner tubes to fit your tires (if tubes would have to be shipped).

Extra lynch pins and other pins (top link) etc.

A heavy chain and a tow strap are always a good idea. Not so much for towing the tractor but for the tractor to pull other stuff.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #8  
I routinely use a 2' blower extension with a curved in from TSC to clean my AC condenser and screens as well as other hard to reach areas. I also find an assortment of funnels really handy, also add a good creeper and roll around short stool with tool holder; pretty handy as you get older.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #9  
Rags lots of rags! A drill motor and extension cord, trouble light I know there is more! Oh yea of corse the most important thing is the beer fridge!

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #10  
I second the beer fridge - and add a phone with a speed dial to your dealers mechanic! :)