First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed?

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #31  
G'day all. As background information (not to boast) I've just bought a JD4105 CUT. Goodies include 300CX loader with 4in1 bucket & pallet fork/bale spike combo, 655 rotary tiller, 1200 slasher and a chain harrow. Nothing has been delivered yet as, living in Tassie, everything has to come from mainland Australia.

I'm not that mechanically inclined (if the Ute doesn't start in the morning = it's broken:confused3:), electronics was my trade in the Navy, but I'm learning in my old age. One thing that I like to be is prepared so, with the information provided, can you fine TractorByNet fellows advise me what I should have in my shed to maintain my rig(s). Basic stuff plus 'tricks of the trade' that a newbie needs to have around.

Let me bask in your wisdom and experience.

Ta.

Johndeer if memory serves has a pretty good "parts" online book, for majorty of all there equipment. that breaks things down to diagrams and part numbers.

combine that with a "operators manual / book" so you get basic information, of when to change oil, what is what on the tractor.

a "shop manual" covers actual diagnostics, and tearing everything apart and putting it all back together, to fix something on the tractor. i am not familiar with JD shop manuals, but most shop manuals i have seen go into pretty good detail with step by step instructions.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #32  
It was probably mentioned in some of the other replies, but if not, build or buy a nut and bolt storage bin/ rack. Most any style, removable bins or fixed. You will save yourself much time and money in the long run being able to find the bolts and other small items that you will collect. I finally purchased a 40 bin metal storage cabinet last year. I quickly found out 40 bins are not near enough and have plans to add at least another 40 bins.

I can now quickly find the bolts or grease zerks, etc. that I bought 6 months ago so I would have them when I needed them.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed?
Thank you so much for all of your responses so far. I was getting a wee bit overwhelmed until SkyLarkGuy itemised everything. Fortunately I'm in the current situation of being able to buy the tractor & implements new. Full warranty & the first on-site servicing included. Mind you, what with the tractor & having to build a new 5-bay shed on a full concrete slab, I'm bleeding $ fast! (yeah, I know, 'welcome to the club').

The 'blue' and/or 'red' loctite suggestion is a bloody good one. Vibration was the number 1 cause of breakdowns onboard ships during my Naval career... of course the same would aply to a tractor & such.

Great advice! Ta.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #34  
Mouse traps if you have those little buggers over there. Also, get in the habit of keeping your hood up and any other confined spaces on your equipment open. It does not take long for them to build a nest - it has happened to me with only a couple days between use.

/ First Tractor Advice = What do I need in my maintenance shed? #35  
Now as finishing touches add in a good dart board for some down times with friends and perhaps a pinup calender to your personel tastes ,just to jot down oil changes and such.

Oh, yeah! The all important 'pinup' calendar (for jotting down, as you said). I remember the old Snap-On calendars... it was amazing how excited, shall we say, the models were to be holding those tools. Who knew that the opposite sex became arroused by the mere sight of a new torque wrench!

I've discovered an essential tool required to be added to my tractor maintenance tools!

a 17mm wrench/spanner!

In ALL of the kit/collection of spanner sets I've got and/or looked at, the manufacturers have skipped the most important size... I had to buy separate 17mm spanners.