SOME PTO QUESTIONS

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #21  
i'm wearing a back brace right now.

gotta love it.

and to think of how much fun I had yesterday bouncing around the pasture on a 69 yr old tractor.. :)

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
Sounds like a heating pad and Jack Daniels are called for.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
JimRB,

Thanks, I have been using TractorData. I am not certain how accurate it is, but it helps.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #25  
Live PTO means that once you engage the PTO then it will turn regardless of anything else you do until you disengage it. Ask to hook the tractor up to a PTO driven implement so you can see if it "works properly." It should operate the machine regardless of clutch position. A lot of the earlier "compact" tractors such as the JD 820 had a 2-stage clutch just like the old Fords, MF, etc. Depressed half way you could stop forward motion and change gears, fully depressed disengaged the PTO. This older method was deemed safer for folks unaccustomed to farm tractors. Depressing the clutch stopped everything.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #26  
Live PTO means that once you engage the PTO then it will turn regardless of anything else you do until you disengage it. Ask to hook the tractor up to a PTO driven implement so you can see if it "works properly." It should operate the machine regardless of clutch position. A lot of the earlier "compact" tractors such as the JD 820 had a 2-stage clutch just like the old Fords, MF, etc. Depressed half way you could stop forward motion and change gears, fully depressed disengaged the PTO. This older method was deemed safer for folks unaccustomed to farm tractors. Depressing the clutch stopped everything.

That sounds more like an independent PTO, if by machine -you mean PTO driven implement or am I missing something here

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
The tractors I will be looking at(older) will most hopefully have a LIVE pto, with 2 stage clutch and that is what I am seeking.

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS #28  
incorrect description.

that's more like independent pto..

live pto is generally via 2 stage clutch.. or 2 stages of clutching.. even if seperated by a hand and a foot clutch, 1 stage each.. IE.. hand for axle, foot for pto and axle.. etc..

/ SOME PTO QUESTIONS
On the 1980s-1990s tractors I will be looking at, they will have as an option usually a 2 stage clutch with what is typically known as "live" pto. Transmission driven rear PTO that is standard on a lot of gear drive sub compacts even today is driven ONLY when the transmission input shaft is turning, whether in gear or not. Straight out of 1930s engineering and it sucks canal water to use a transmission driven pto. You have to remember that belt driven machinery was typical when transmission pto came about and it did not really matter as the tractor was stationary and brakes locked as it drove the thresher or other machine.

Mid-mount pto for mowers is usually LIVE or even INDEPENDENT and avoid the associated problems. If all the tractor is used for is mowing, you probably never know. If you attach a rear mount/pull implement with pto (mower / rotary cutter / tiller) you will know real quick. Your pto only turns when you are in motion, or you have to kick it out of gear and let the clutch back out and let the implement chew on the load, clutch, put in gear, and move a bit.