front end loader on JD 970?

/ front end loader on JD 970? #1  

sej

Tractor
JD 970
Anyone have a JD 970 2wd with a FEL? Just wondering if 4WD is s must.

/ front end loader on JD 970? #2  
Mine takes a full bucket load ( optional 6' bucket ) of 3/4" crushed rock and doesn't need the 4wd to do so. JD80 loader. Later loaders were I think, a model 440. There are sure places the 4wd helps out, but this isn't one of them so far. Sure can see the load on the front tires when the load is lifted, but think a 2wd should work out fine. just keep the front tires aired up. Normal bucket for this one is, I think, 54". If you have a problem finding one, look at Koyker, great aftermarket rig. Mine is a JD though. Other thing I have going on mine is a #8A backhoe on the back most of the time, that 900 lbs could be helping me with a counterweight for heavy loads.
Chris

/ front end loader on JD 970? #3  
Anyone have a JD 970 2wd with a FEL? Just wondering if 4WD is s must.

I have a Deere 4400 now and have owned a Deere 790 and 670. All had loaders and MFWD. However, I operated in 2WD 90% (or more) of the time.
So...do you need MFWD? Nope...you can get by without it most of the time. MFWD surely is convenient though. Without MFWD, I would consider chains on the rears to add traction as well as adequate ballast on the 3PH.
Now, some older Deere 2WD models did not have power assist steering, except as an option. I would not want a CUT with a loader unless I had power steering.

/ front end loader on JD 970?
Thanks for the input. I don't have a backhoe but I do have a very heavy Bush hog brand rotory mower. I could use that fir a counter weight.

/ front end loader on JD 970? #5  
I have a 970 with an 80 fuel on it and I use it almost every day at our nursery. It can be operated in two or fwd and I run it in fwd always. It helps with the loads but I have some small hills so it starts to have trouble if in twd. I don't have a ballast usually but you may be okay with some rear weight.

Mine doesn't have power steering. Maybe I should just look for another tractor with a loader.

/ front end loader on JD 970? #7  
Mine doesn't have power steering. Maybe I should just look for another tractor with a loader.

Might be a good idea...

/ front end loader on JD 970? #8  
If it was me, I'd call around to tractor wreckers and see if there is a deal to be had. Might get the loader and all of the parts cheap. Not a lite item to ship, might cost as much to ship as to buy. You already have the tractor, but all of that would depend on what shape the tractor is in, and if it would be worth the expense. Value of tractor + value of loader = less than another would cost ?? If not, time to look for a different one.
Chris

Tractor is in great shape. Only gas 365 hours. Its a 95 model. It'd been kept in a shed when big in use and all maintenance performed. Just not sure it is cost effective to add a loader.

/ front end loader on JD 970? #10  
I'm not familiar with your tractor, but over the years I have had FEL's on tractors with 2WD with manual steering, 2WD with power steering and 4x4 with power steering. As long as you have adequate rear ballast, 2WD should handle most situations. However, manual steering will be a bear. Perhaps you can convert to power steering.