790 JOHNDEERE

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #1  

DEEMEESE

Tractor
johndeere 790 compact
Bottom radiator hose stays cold top hose is hot tractor does not overheat???any ideas thanks Dee

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #2  
Bottom radiator hose stays cold, top hose is hot, tractor does not overheat???, any ideas???, thanks Dee

Sounds like it isn't warmed up enough to open the thermostat.

Are you having any problems with it ?

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #3  
Radiator getting warm also? What is the gauge on the tractor saying?

/ 790 JOHNDEERE
Hey thanks No problems ran it for a half hour or more loadin firewood,,,felt the hose cold on the bottom warm on top hose..Reason i checked i had to add alittle antifreeze to the overflow resevoir ??but no overheating problems ?/

/ 790 JOHNDEERE
Temp gauge stay in the green way down in the green never gets even halfway up the guage

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #6  
This is quite common. I believe the JD stat opens at 160*. I changed my stat recently and my bottom hose is still cool to the touch. My top hose isn't that hot either.

/ 790 JOHNDEERE
Thanks may be that ,,,

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #8  
I would go with the tractor isn't running that hard and is just using a wee small bit of the capacity of the radiator. Run it and have fun. The only way that I would be concerned was if it was heating up on ya.

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #9  
My 770 does the same thing. I replaced the thermostat, coolant, temp sensor and hoses. Still, it only creeps up to about 1/4 of the way when working in the summer.

/ 790 JOHNDEERE #10  
Welcome to the forum Dee.

Never had any troubles with my 790 in the summer, it runs just fine!! Now the operator has nearly croaked a time or two in the 98 deg weather lol. To be more serious, I've never felt the hoses on mine after running it a while, but now you got me wondering and I will check it the next time I've had it running for a while.

Btw, in case you aren't aware, there's a simple little trick you can do to the 790's to increase the hydraulic pressure. The hydraulic relief valve is set to 2000psi at the factory, but it can be safely increased to 2500 psi and give you a little more lift capacity on the loader (if yours has one) and on the three pt lift too. I did it to mine, and it makes a difference. If you're interested, there are several threads on it and you can use the search function and you should be able to find some of them. Basically it involves adding some shims that you can get at your JD dealer for about $10 bucks.