Some snow in Arizona overnight

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight
I don't think you could call it a community, much less bedroom community! All that is left of Gleason is one house and the remains of the old jail. Oh ya, the dot on the map.:)

I think I saw a story about somebody out that way that did something with rattle snakes and they lived around the Gleason area?

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #12  
I really miss that country. Born in Nogales and raised (mostly) in So. Calif. the climate really agreed with me. It looks like I'll be living out my days here in Canada, though.
While they were still alive, we used to visit my folks in a suburb south of Sierra Vista. Not surprisingly, we tried to visit during the winter...we got snowed out a couple of times, though. Once we went to the Grand Canyon arriving in the afternoon with 80F temp and woke up to a blizzard with 8-10" snow; a hasty drive South fixed that. Another time we had 6" of snow near Willcox (meanwhile, back home in Prince Edward Island they were shoveling snow out of the woods onto cross-country ski trails to keep them useable!).
The Sonoran desert is really great scenery, biota and climate...as long as you have access to water.
BOB

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #13  
Not sure if they call it a bed room community or not but a few people live out that way. Only been by the place once and that was back in '07.

Bill
In the mid 60's used to go through Gleason going from Tombstone to Elfrida or toward the cut off road past the old Fort Bowie before the gov. decided it was worth keeping . Headed for San Simon . While working for the El Paso Gas. Co.
Always thought it would be a good drive to travel the High Lonesome road the full length North To South ranch. Son was born while living in Douglas and Uncle in Tucson . Had considered to retire there only seems the money was this direction.
Now live in the Edge of Ozark Mts. weather usually good.
ken

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #14  
When growing up in Tombstone there were several families living in Gleason, most were Mexican. One of the kids from there was the first in AZ to run a 4 minute mile. Can't think of his name at the moment. He would get off the school bus & run the last few miles home. Bud Kleeclamp moved into the old Gleason store, at that time it actually still had some stock on the shelves.

North of town was the Christianson ranch, spent a little time out there with Danny. His dad Harry was still running it at that time. In the 70's went to the ranch & Danny & I dug a little Turquoise. After a little fun Blasting.

As A kid it was great when it snowed.

Here are a couple of pictures of my truck, a car & truck bed after the blizzard a few days ago.

snow car.JPGsnow in truck.JPGsnow truck.JPG

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #15  
When growing up in Tombstone there were several families living in Gleason, most were Mexican. One of the kids from there was the first in AZ to run a 4 minute mile. Can't think of his name at the moment. He would get off the school bus & run the last few miles home. Bud Kleeclamp moved into the old Gleason store, at that time it actually still had some stock on the shelves.

North of town was the Christianson ranch, spent a little time out there with Danny. His dad Harry was still running it at that time. In the 70's went to the ranch & Danny & I dug a little Turquoise. After a little fun Blasting.

Here are a couple of pictures of my truck, a car & truck bed after the blizzard a few days ago.

View attachment 304905View attachment 304906View attachment 304907
Oh My Gosh......How did you manage to survive? Glad to hear you made it thru the disaster ok. It must have been really rough going.:p:)

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #16  

View attachment 304905View attachment 304906View attachment 304907

Jim I get frost that thick.
ken

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #17  
Jim I get frost that thick.
ken

I don't live where I live for the cold. I hate cold weather. Give me some global warming.:laughing:
You folks can keep your frost, snow & ice.

Actually snow was melting almost as fast as it came down. But there was about 5 miles of near white out conditions before I got to where the pictures were taken.

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #18  
I don't live where I live for the cold. I hate cold weather. Give me some global warming.:laughing:
You folks can keep your frost, snow & ice.

Ya know, you can always put on more clothes (-40 with a wind is nasty). But there's a limit to how much you can take off. (100+). In the end, it's about the same. 6 months where you don't venture out anymore than you have to. It's just a different 6 months.

I did have to chuckle when I turned on the tube this afternoon and it was tuned to this week's golf tournament somewhere in Arizona and the golfers were wearing stocking caps and I saw one pull off these huge mittens in order to take his shot.

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #19  
Ya know, you can always put on more clothes (-40 with a wind is nasty). But there's a limit to how much you can take off. (100+). In the end, it's about the same. 6 months where you don't venture out anymore than you have to. It's just a different 6 months.

I did have to chuckle when I turned on the tube this afternoon and it was tuned to this week's golf tournament somewhere in Arizona and the golfers were wearing stocking caps and I saw one pull off these huge mittens in order to take his shot.

Truth is I can work out doors when it is over 100 if I have shade to work in. Direct sun does do me in.

the other morning was the coldest 40 degrees I have ever felt.

Normally we have 2 or 3 months between the hot & cold, fall & spring both.

A little side note. when in the 3rd grade 1947? /we spent part of the winter in Dulce NM. Snow widow high on the highway to Hot Springs. Went from there to St. George Utah. big change.

/ Some snow in Arizona overnight #20  

Working at Williams Ariz.1962 the snow blocked the highway and the temp went to -40 deg. so the water froze in main lines buried 5 or more feet deep. Had a new dodge pick up and when getting ready to go to work the door lock had to be warmed to unlock the truck. then started the engine saw quickly the engine temp gauge was rising to over hot point shut off engine raised the hood and on removing the radiator cap the antifreeze was like a slush. several starts and idle then stop engine covered with blanket go to run properly . went to work and realized about only vehicle on the road.
We all had to move into the living room where the heater was and camp out in house for several days.
Then 5 years later working at Seligman ,Ariz. received a call from employee to same company that he was stuck atop Hualapai Mt. and power was off but S/B gen running so communications was working. Later another call to go to Kingman and hire the largest dozer rentable. Co. found a Cat. D-9 loaded truck with barrels of gas and met with telephone , power co. and state comm. workers to attempt to get to the site atop the mountain. Three days later a 2 mile road was opened and still one mile from our worker talking to him he said would walk down to the road then I would give him a ride to town. 5 hours later he arrived at the truck and asked him what was the delay. He said he kept falling down onto the tree tops and had to climb out put snow shoes back on and walk a little farther fell again.
I have had my truck hauled cross country behind a dozer to get to Mt. tops. Ariz . tourist group never tells of this weather.

ken