how much power does hst use vs gear

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #11  
i know an auto tranny in a car say a turbo 400 takes 50-60 horse power to turn so maybe 10-15 hp on a hst tractor

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #12  
After having a geared tractor and a FEL I dont think i'll ever go back to that once I got on an HST, I dont even use the brakes anymore.

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #13  
well-- I would like to believe that a HST is more efficient then geared. With HST, the power being used to run pump is constant - so its easier to figure out your fuel use. Of course with a geared or HST tractor if you are pushing or pulling hard the fuel use goes up - but on HST the reliefs starts to kick in at max so its constant level of poweer being robbed - of not more on a geared tractor. Just my opinion- I could be wrong though..

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #14  
I have both geared and HST tractors. The small Kubota B26 with backhoe will run out of traction before it runs out of power. I think the world average is about 2 HP lost vs same tractor with gear drive. I think someone already stated that if you are doing loader work and lots of forward reverse action, and HST is the best but it you are mowing straight line in a large pasture or using tillage equipment all day long a gear drive might be more suited. The one thing I like the gear drive over the HST is that I don't have to have a foot on the GO pedal all the time and that leaves both feet free to do braking and clutching. A few HST tractors will have a clutch also and maybe one will have the brakes on the left and HST pedal on the right but most have brakes on the same side as the HST pedal so it in nearly impossible to use the breaks for steering, that is assuming the tractor has steering brakes. Some only have one brake pedal which for me would be an automatic pass by on buying a tractor but some folks don't need them. To me a steering brake on a tractor is like a concealed weapon, its not very useful until you really need it.

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #15  
i know an auto tranny in a car say a turbo 400 takes 50-60 horse power to turn so maybe 10-15 hp on a hst tractor
I think this is an old wives tale from the young fools drag racing days where everyone thought a standard was the only way to go. The old turbo 400s lost as bit of power in the clutches but not nearly that much and it wasn't so much that it took that 50-60HP to turn the tranny, just lost a bit on the low end due to slippage. Todays transmissions are much more efficient.
When it comes to power loss, everything(including gear drive) looses it due to friction loss. That is what keeps the proverbial perpetual motion machine from working. The fewer gears or other apparatus that the power moves thru before getting to the final drive the less friction losses there is.

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #16  
We can use "Kubota Math" to try to extract:

L45 is basically an L39 w/ a HST+.

I have owned both. I like both. The GST and HST each have their advantages and I won't get into it. Here are some stats:

L39:
39 HP
GST
30.5 HP PTO

L45:
45 HP (Gross Power)
42.5 HP (Net Power)
HST+
32 HP PTO

With that math...

The L39 has 6 less HP but only 1.5 less HP at the PTO. What's the deal with "gross" vs "net" SAE ratings on the L45? Somewhere the HST+ is using some HP...

ac

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #17  
I have both geared and HST tractors. The small Kubota B26 with backhoe will run out of traction before it runs out of power. I think the world average is about 2 HP lost vs same tractor with gear drive. I think someone already stated that if you are doing loader work and lots of forward reverse action, and HST is the best but it you are mowing straight line in a large pasture or using tillage equipment all day long a gear drive might be more suited. The one thing I like the gear drive over the HST is that I don't have to have a foot on the GO pedal all the time and that leaves both feet free to do braking and clutching. A few HST tractors will have a clutch also and maybe one will have the brakes on the left and HST pedal on the right but most have brakes on the same side as the HST pedal so it in nearly impossible to use the breaks for steering, that is assuming the tractor has steering brakes. Some only have one brake pedal which for me would be an automatic pass by on buying a tractor but some folks don't need them. To me a steering brake on a tractor is like a concealed weapon, its not very useful until you really need it.

That is a really good point I never thought about. Is the pedal for HST usually on the same side as the brakes?
My gear Kioti has cutting brakes and I never thought I would use them until this Winter....pushing snow with the FEL I discovered the GREAT steering you get from them. The front wheels are useless on the ice, but the brakes work awesome for steering!

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #18  
I pulled a 2/12 bottom plow for 4 years with a L3130 HST 4WD Kubota with no problem.Used 4WD most of the time,this is in the rock strewn North-east.Ten acres per year.R1 tires,31.5 HP.

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #19  
That is a really good point I never thought about. Is the pedal for HST usually on the same side as the brakes?
My gear Kioti has cutting brakes and I never thought I would use them until this Winter....pushing snow with the FEL I discovered the GREAT steering you get from them. The front wheels are useless on the ice, but the brakes work awesome for steering!
I use the steering brakes to keep the tractor going my direction when back dragging or going forward but just using the heel of the bucket to smooth out muddy ruts with the FEL. Without using the brakes, it tends to drift to the high side which has more drag. It is difficult with the Kubota as the brakes are on the same side as the HST pedal just as most tractors are. SOMEONE jump in here with a model where the brakes are on the left side as I know there are a few that are that way.

/ how much power does hst use vs gear #20  
I use the steering brakes to keep the tractor going my direction when back dragging or going forward but just using the heel of the bucket to smooth out muddy ruts with the FEL. Without using the brakes, it tends to drift to the high side which has more drag. It is difficult with the Kubota as the brakes are on the same side as the HST pedal just as most tractors are. SOMEONE jump in here with a model where the brakes are on the left side as I know there are a few that are that way.

My JD 3320 has the go peddels on the right and the brakes on the left. I use them when back dragging also. only way to keep a straight line..