Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038e

Default Random question

Looking for some peace of mind. Would you guys say it is better to let a tractor sit idle and keep the hours down or let a neighbor use it year round while you're gone and get some fluids run through it. The reason I ask is because I am an absentee land owner and really only use the tractor 25-50 hours a year depending on how much I get up to the place. I use it strictly to maintain a tract of land for hunting.

I don't anticipate ever selling the machine but am curious if I should try to keep the hours low on it. My neighbor likes to use it and pays for anything MX related, the diesel, and stores it to keep an eye on it. In my mind, I want to keep it brand new because I am anal as all get out. However, I figure it is good to not let it sit idle for long periods of time. Any opinions one or the other? What is the average hours put on CUT a year?

Hoping a few of you will just tell me to get over it and be a good neighbor instead of taking it back to my place and storing it!

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Random question

Get over it and be a good neighbor instead of taking it back to my place and storing it.
    Murph ------------

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

I would say don't let him use it. What if something major goes wrong, he rolls it, blows it up, breaks the transmission, who is going to pay for it? I and only I operate my equipment with the exception of a select few but they are within my view at all times while they use it. It is human nature to borrow something break it by accident and then deny breaking it.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    I would say don't let him use it. What if something major goes wrong, he rolls it, blows it up, breaks the transmission, who is going to pay for it? I and only I operate my equipment with the exception of a select few but they are within my view at all times while they use it. It is human nature to borrow something break it by accident and then deny breaking it.
    I don't believe that its human nature to lie about anything. If it really bothers you about your neighbor take it home.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404

I say it's good to use it. If he is a good and responsible neighbor let him use it. Not good to let things sit up. How many hours would he put on it?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Tractor
    and i just got a 580 c case backhoe real good shape got another kubota 2100 .. 2 - 684 IH 2 -8 N Ford had B275 IH MF # 50 work bull MF 35 all redone 65 mf 1750 kabota

if the guy looks after it real good . and you never plan on selling . the hr dont mean sh#t . but if you let it sit you will have a head ache on your hands ... its hard to find a good neighbor. if hes good keep him . what would you do if you got up there and some *** smashed it or the mice chewed all the wires off it . like i say if the guy looks after it let him use it its best for you
    JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

Tractors are mine to break. If someone has a need, bushogging, moving or such... I use my tractor. It breaks while I'm on it there's no hard feeling to worry about.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

I have some great neighbors and we get along good. If anyone needs a tractor they get their own. If one breaks and someone is in a bind the others go over and do the work for the hard up guy. Everyone drives their own tractor.
    If we all had three or four tractors it might be different.
    I read somewhere average usage for a CUT is 50 to 100 hr per year.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    John Deere 3038e

He is a good friend and very good with the tractor. I don't have any doubt about trusting him. If he breaks it, he will fix it. No problem there. Probably bring the hours up to 100-150 a year tops. It sits mostly on a grain auger when he is using it.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

How far away is your tractor and hunting plot? Do you have a trailer to haul it? Are you allowed to store the tractor at your residence or do local ordinances prohibit this?
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast