3-Point Hitch Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms.

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #1  

Rick230

Tractor
Ford 8N 1950
I'm very new to tractors. I've just used a walk behind tiller and a shovel in the past. I just bought a 1952 Ford 8N (In awesome shape) and am attaching a middle buster. The top link attached fine. Both lift arms attached fine. But not the stabilizer bars. I measured from the center of the attachment point on the middle buster to the center of the stabilizer bracket attachment point. It measured 31 inches on each side with the middle buster centered. The holes in the stabilizer bar measure 31 1/2 inches from center hole to center hole. I had to move the attachment point of the stabilizer bracket one hole toward the front.
Now the bars fit ok but the middle buster head is about 2 inches to the right of center.

Is this ok or does it have to be centered?

I have noticed on diagrams that some people use an adjustable stabilizer bar on one or both sides.

I guess this would work to bring it back to center, other than the cost of the bar or bars.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick230

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #2  
Did you move both stabilizer bars forward one hole or just one of them? Second question would be are the stabilizer attachment points fixed or adjustable along the axle housing? If adjustible are they spaced evenly from the center of the tractor? Last but not least did you compare the stabilizer bars to verify the length and that the holes you used are aligned?

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #3  
Two inches one way or the other won't make enough difference to notice using a middle buster.

Just hook it up an use it. Oh...and have fun.

Old tractors are a joy to operate for a while. But everyone seems to want an upgrade after a time.

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms.
Jenkinsph,

The stabilizer attachment points are adjustable. The problem is that from center hole to center hole of the lift arm is 31 inches, the centers of the stabilizer bars are 31 1/2 inches. I moved the attachment point at the axle back to the next hole. Doing that I was able to attach both arms.

I may try to move the other side back as well and see if it centers everything or it won't fit.

I should be fine where it is. Gwdixon wrote that 2 inches shouldn't make much of a difference. That being the case I should be set to go.
I kinda figured it would be ok, just being careful. I'll still try moving the other side back just to see if it centers it.

I can't start till the ground dries out some. I can't believe how much rain were getting.

Thanks for all your help.

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #5  
I agree with Dixon that it doesn't have to be exactly centered. Just trying to help get this aligned correcty. I can fully understand the wet ground as I am a native of NOLA.

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #6  
Adjustable stabilizers are the best bet. The variation in implement pin widths will make you happy you bought the adjustable ones. Just because a Cat 1 3PH is supposed to be a set width, the manufacturers of implements seem to make them with lots of variation. When I grew up, we had stabilizer bars that had such wallowed out holes that there was enough play for some variation, but you can't buy them new that way.;)

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #7  
Rick.... on the older Fords, the stabilizer bracket bolts to the rear axle... are they bolted the same on both sides... are both bars the same length.... are both rear wheels the same offset... are both lift links the same length... Is the middle buster a cat. 1.... You may have the wrong width, on the middle buster, for a cat. 1... 3 pt hitch set up....
cat.1......bottom pins 3/4" ... top link pin 7/8"........ bottom pin spacing 26"

/ Stabilizer Bar longer than the Lift Arms. #8  
Adjustable stabilizers are the best bet. The variation in implement pin widths will make you happy you bought the adjustable ones. Just because a Cat 1 3PH is supposed to be a set width, the manufacturers of implements seem to make them with lots of variation. When I grew up, we had stabilizer bars that had such wallowed out holes that there was enough play for some variation, but you can't buy them new that way.;)

Jim has given you an explanation of why the stabilizers wouldn't fasten properly. The width of the hitch points on the attachment has moved the ends of the lift arms out or in too far to fasten both stabilizers and end up centered. No big deal. I agree with him about having adjustable stabilizers. As a kid our stabilizers were all worn out like Jim explained so we rarely had a problem!!! :)

Thanks Jim and Richard.
I just read Dave's post and I'd have to measure a few things.
I know that one of the stabilizer bars is bent a little, but it would not have made it even straightened out.
You lost me on the offset?
One of the lift arm leveling assembly has a crank but I didn't measure it.

I'll have to figure out the rest.
Does anyone know a good site to look at diagrams so I can identify parts?
I'm learning fast!
I'm sure I'll be getting one adjustable stabilizer bars.
I see the small lever on the right. I believe it is the drift or draft adjustment.
Which I think means that if I have the blade down and flip this lever it will maintain the same depth.
I'll be ordering a manual soon and I'm sure that will answer a lot of questions.
Thanks Y'all

Thanks Jim and Richard.
I just read Dave's post and I'd have to measure a few things.
I know that one of the stabilizer bars is bent a little, but it would not have made it even straightened out.
You lost me on the offset?
One of the lift arm leveling assembly has a crank but I didn't measure it.

I'll have to figure out the rest.
Does anyone know a good site to look at diagrams so I can identify parts?
I'm learning fast!
I'm sure I'll be getting one adjustable stabilizer bars.
I see the small lever on the right. I believe it is the drift or draft adjustment.
Which I think means that if I have the blade down and flip this lever it will maintain the same depth.
I'll be ordering a manual soon and I'm sure that will answer a lot of questions.
Thanks Y'all