Ford 1700 Clutch

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #1  

Coreymark

Tractor
Ford 1700
I need to replace the clutch on my Ford 1700 Tractor. It is stuck and will not disengage. I have lots of experience on clutch and transmission repair on cars and trucks, but have never split a tractor. The dealer wants over a $1,000. I found the parts for about $200. I can't imagine getting a much better parts price but do you have any supplier recommendations for Ford / New Holland parts?

I have a 770 loader on the tractor and have never removed it. I am sure I have to remove the loader and the loader mounting brackets to split the tractor. Has anyone done that on a 1700? and do you have any tips?

Same with the split. One thing I am concerned about is the hydraulic line that runs from the pump to the back of the tractor. How do I cap that. Do I have to drain the hydraulic system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #2  
Have you tried riding, or possibly somewhat vigorously stabbing the brakes in a mid-range gear with the clutch pedal depressed..?? The higher gear, the better, within reason, to increase the torque on the clutch. I'd surely try that, before splitting, and replacing. Seems some models of tractors had a clip type deal to hold the clutch pedal down when not in use, to prevent this. I know I've read it somewhere, just can't remember which brand/models it is.

/ Ford 1700 Clutch
Yes I have tried to break it loose. If I get up against a stump with the clutch in and it slips but does not disengage completely. I "Blocked" the clutch for a month or so and it never got any better. I have also adjusted the clutch with no improvement.

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #4  
That would be a block of wood to be inserted between the depressed clutch pedal shank and the step plate to hold the clutch in the disengaged position to prevent sticking. Doing so will not cure a stuck clutch.

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #5  
No inspection plate underneath? Full casing,I guess. don-ohio

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #6  
I am in the process of replacing the clutch on a 1500 at the moment. I went ahead and drained all the fluids before starting and removed the lines. I figured it would be better than potentialy crimping or bending them when I split the case. I started a thread about it a couple weeks ago that you can take a look at (Ford 1500 clutch replacement).

Jason

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #7  
That link takes me to an ad. don-ohio

/ Ford 1700 Clutch
I have pulled the brackets for the front loader and got to the inspection hole and the clutch looks pretty good. it seems to release from the presure plate and fly wheel. I an now thinking the pilot bearing is seized to the input shaft. I had that happen on car one time a few years back. Is that possibility?

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #9  
I suppose that's possible,though I've never seen one grip on the shaft it slips on. Could you spray some PB Blaster or Liq.Wrench up there and pry on it a little,taking care not to get it on the clutch plate,of course?
I don't suppose it's the kind that had a grease fitting on it to grease the bearing? don-ohio :)^)

/ Ford 1700 Clutch #10  
If you go on th N/H forum there are plenty of posts on freeing and replacing clutches on 1700's'. Make sure you block the front axle so it won't pivot .
Bill