Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #81  
Wish I could do work like that. Looks like new.

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #82  
Wish I could do work like that. Looks like new.

Agreed. You should post photos of other work you have done.

Actually, there were two bad moves and you recovered perfectly from both of them.

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #83  
If it were me, this would be the most dangerous time. After doing a great repair job like that, for sure I would manage to ding (or totally smash) it within a week! It's some sort of special talent of mine, I guess.

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start
I know what you mean, the panels that were repainted had only been drying for 24 hours since they were shot, but I just wanted everything back together so I handled them from the inside and assembled everything. The wife told me to wait (sound of reason) another day for reassembly for parts to dry. If I didn't have a cherry picker then I would have waited but by carefully maneuvering the hood assembly into position managed to get it mounted without scratches. I know there's going to be an Argh or ooops the first time a bucket full of dirt/rock looses a few chunks over the back wall of the bucket and falls on the hood. Tractors are meant to be used and that's what's ahead for this one, but since my dad bought this tractor new, (he passed away about a year ago) I will do my best to take good care of this Rhino because my dad always took good care of it... Thanks everyone for all the great posts, I've enjoyed them and even though a bone headed move on my part started this, I really have enjoyed working on this particular repair and thread

Agreed. You should post photos of other work you have done.

(Well I wasn't going to- but since you asked here's the last car i did, bought a a police seizure sale GEO 005.JPGsomebody decided to dance on the roof, needed a clutch ,put that in then found there was no first gear,and by no first gear I mean someone had removed it from the transmission that explained the burned clutch that was in it. Got another 5 speed for it and did a little bodywork, anyway- this paint is the sister to the clear I tried to use, but is a catalyzed single stage urethane, it is one of the best values for its gloss, cost, and durability, at least in my opinion..)

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #86  
sd455dan--That's pretty impressive work and really something to be proud of. Always post this kind of workmanship and more photos, including close-ups so we can learn from it. I learned a lot from your hood effort.

Is the catalyzed single stage urethane an isocyanite product that I need supplied air for or is a respirator OK? How about the clearcoat?

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #87  
Your dad would be proud..Good job.:thumbsup:

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #88  
RTII,

Your posting time was off a little: Unfortunately, just as you posted, the thread was hijacked. With respect to your "bonehead" action, I have done the same thing, also. I have finally trained myself to restart the thought sequence every time I get an interruption. I'm especially careful when I'm doing electrical work. (That's another story, not to be shared here.) When working with stuff like tractors, chainsaws, electrical circuits, oxy-acetylene torches, I'm trying to make sure I follow a fairly rigorous set of procedures. One of the best steps is to require a total process start-over, whenever there is an interruption. Thanks for the post, and thanks for the reminder.

Thread theft occurs all the time. I think almost all posters try not to do it. However, on most posts, there is new information that one or more of us wants to pursue. Sometimes in our enthusiasm we forget to start a new thread. It's one of the smaller "bonehead" actions we all make.

Anyway, thanks for your post. It got me thinking again.

PMH

sd455dan--That's pretty impressive work and really something to be proud of. Always post this kind of workmanship and more photos, including close-ups so we can learn from it. I learned a lot from your hood effort.

Is the catalyzed single stage urethane an isocyanite product that I need supplied air for or is a respirator OK? How about the clearcoat?
thanks, some people will tell you that you can use a dual cartridge respirator for organic particulates, that should work for non catalyzed tractor enamel that I finished with, but for isocyanate paints you need a fresh air supplied respirator. I did on a couple occaissions in the past shoot iso 2 k urethane in a garage built booth, it had a very hi volume air system, and I did use the respirator type listed above, and know of some others that still do, but cannot recommend that, many people that have used these paints and have been exposed can become sensitized to the isocyanates so that any exposure can cause asthma attacks or other severe reactions, sometimes permanent... If you are old enough to remember Bohpal India- the Union Carbide plant that produced Methyl Isocyanate a close relative i believe? had a large leak, it killed in excess of 1200 people in a few minutes...After thinking about this some more, and seeing a paint special on (Power Block) I intend on trying some of the water based paints and clears, in the near future... What is a persons health worth, as I get older and after losing another relative just yesterday, anything that can be done to safegard peoples health is a good idea... Sorry for the long post, hope this is helpful

/ Tractor related bonehead move of the month-I'll start #90  
Good advice--I do indeed steer 100% clear of Isocyanates and am on the verge of buying a supplied air system. It's hard for me to justify it just for tractor work when acrylic enamel does a pretty good job for farm equip. Thanks.