Snow Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #1  

jvolock

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010 with FEL Schulte 3pt 7400 snowblower, Heavy duty rear blade
Being a nubie tractor owner, I have found reading many of the posts and forum topics very educational. Not being shy about acknowledging my limited knowledge of tractors and attachments nor asking questions, I was hoping that once again the members could offer advice and solutions to another situation I find myself in. While using my 3pt snow blower last Wednesday, I inadverently raised the RPM's on the PTO and while snow blowing broke one of the yokes at the distal end of the pto drive shaft. The yoke which attachs to the snow blower didn't break and I'm hoping that the connector parts that failed can simply be replaced. If they can, where I can I go to have these repairs done?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help, and if anyone wants to make jokes I have a good thick skin and always enjoy laughing at myself.

IMAG0692.jpgIMAG0700.jpgIMAG0697.jpgIMAG0695.jpgIMAG0693.jpg

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #2  
No jokes from me!! It looks like only the universal joint broke. If that's the case, it's easily replaced, and won't be too expensive. If it was just the U-joint broke, take all the parts pieces (and yoke) to your NAPA store and they should be able to match one up for you. If not, then try the local TSC (if you have one). If you don't have a TSC in your area, then head to the nearest tractor/ag store. Good luck!

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #3  
That is a typical failure of these types of joints. As long as the yokes didn't bend you should be able to replace the u-joint with new.
It is an easy job if you have the tools. It can be done with a hammer,vise and some type of socket-bushing just bigger than the end caps.

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #4  
Distal?....you must work in the medical field!;)

Looks like nothing really broke, but the caps on you U-joint came off. They are usually retained by clips on the outer face or inner c clips. In any case, you have to figure out why the caps popped. Worst case the ears of the yokes may be ovalized, no fix other than new yokes in that case. Best case you simply lost a clip and a cap popped.

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #5  
Distal?....you must work in the medical field!;)

Looks like nothing really broke, but the caps on you U-joint came off. They are usually retained by clips on the outer face or inner c clips. In any case, you have to figure out why the caps popped. Worst case the ears of the yokes may be ovalized, no fix other than new yokes in that case. Best case you simply lost a clip and a cap popped.

I agree with Buckgnarly.

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower #6  
It looks like the yoke may be a bit sprung to the wide side, but careful measurement of the GOOD one compared to the "broken" one will confirm. If it has sprung a bit wider, you may be able to bend it back to original width with a good vise by just tightening it up. If not a wooden block and large hammer should do the trick, just don't bend it in too much as it is just barely enough room to get the X in with on cap installed. It has been a while since I repaired a u-joint, but when you get a new one, take off the bearing caps and stuff them full of heavy grease. This will hold the needle bearing in place while you jockey everything into position. A wide jawed vise is the best tool for this as you can just squeeze them in and not disturb the needle bearings like you would with a hammer. You start by pressing one side of the bearing cap in so the top is just flush with the bottom of the retainer ring groove, the set the split ring retainer and then position the X piece into the installed bearing cap, then comes the finesse of getting the other cap squeezed in to contact the X without having a bearing fall or dislodge (hence the heavy grease like bearing grease work well for this. You will need to pull the cross piece up from the other bearing cap about half way so it contacts the bearing cap on the other side while slowly pressing in the outside cap. You need to get it flush with the outside of the yoke, then put in something like a socket(whatever you used to push the other bearing cap in) that is a bit smaller than the bearing cap and then push it the rest of the way just so it is flush with the bottom of the retainer ring groove, then do the other side the same way.
As said first thing is removing all the bearing caps and fill them with heavy grease to hold all the needle bearings in place, set them aside till needed.

/ Yoke broke on PTO shaft for my Yanmar YSS-60 3pt snow blower
Thanks to all for the observations, comments and recommendations. I've ordered the parts and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I have to be in Portland for work the next few days so the parts should be here when I get back into town.