Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

Default How Do You Determine When to Change Your Air Filter?

My Kioti DK35SE service manual calls for changing the air filter after 6 times of cleaning or every year.

For my conditions that seems much too often. My work is in virtually dust-free conditions. I finally did change my filter after 18 months with the tractor at 400 hours. But I'm quite sure it wasn't necessary since the filter did not look very dirty and I could see light through it. My dealer knows my area and conditions and agreed strictly following the manual wastes money, and my not changing it would have no effect on my warranty.

I'll purchase another filter($60) and keep it on hand, but I imagine it will be another year or two before it needs changing.

So I'm wondering--how do people determine when their air filters need changing.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: How Do You Determine When to Change Your Air Filter?

check with a light for holes but when the dirt no longer comes out when I tap it against the tire then its time for a change.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    check with a light for holes but when the dirt no longer comes out when I tap it against the tire then its time for a change.
    As long as it is cleanable and has no holes in it, keep using it. My tractor has a double filter and I changed the outside one at 500 HRS and the inside one rarely is dirty. I blow the outside filter every time I change the oil. usually once a year in the fall.
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I have put over a thousand hours on a 120 HP tractor and never put on a new air filter. Just blow out the dust daily. As long as the inner filter is clean, there is no leaks and no need to change it. Just tapped it on the tire to remove the loose dirt when no air compressor was available.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    My Kioti DK35SE service manual calls for changing the air filter after 6 times of cleaning or every year.

For my conditions that seems much too often. My work is in virtually dust-free conditions. I finally did change my filter after 18 months with the tractor at 400 hours. But I'm quite sure it wasn't necessary since the filter did not look very dirty and I could see light through it. My dealer knows my area and conditions and agreed strictly following the manual wastes money, and my not changing it would have no effect on my warranty.

I'll purchase another filter($60) and keep it on hand, but I imagine it will be another year or two before it needs changing.

So I'm wondering--how do people determine when their air filters need changing.

I take it the Kioti does not have a secondary safety filter?

If it had an oil bath oil filter as precleaner I would change it
    per the recommended hours of service but as it is a paper element
    I would change it more often as one little hole can cause a lot of damage.

That was the nice thing about Ford Jubilee's Duetz air cooled tractors and
    their oil bath air filters as you are able to check them quickly and add oil
    as needed and change the oil and clean the bowl when needed quickly.

The other thing is that washing and blowing out air filters is real no no and
    the filter paper does degrade over time.

An oli bath precleaner for a paper cartridge removes 95 percent of any dirt or more
    before it enter the cartridge air filter as well.

You can buy paper air filter inexpensively also as they have to meet minimum standards
    of filtration per square meter of treated filter paper.

I hate to be crude...but the best way I know when to check the air filter (clean or replace) is by my nose (open station)... if I'm inhaling particles so is the tractor...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Doesn't your tractor have an air restriction indicator? Most modern tractors come with a primary and safety (secondary) element. They also usually have an air restriction indicator intended to keep a person from screwing with the filter too much, damaging it, and dusting the engine.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST

My old Farmall C had the oil bath type filter and every year in the fall when I changed the engine oil I would change the filter oil as well.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

No, the Kioti does not have the inner saftey element, but bobcat had it installed as part of their desing changes. If you want one see a Bobcat dealer.
    $60 for the air filter? Bobcat sells the outer filter for less than $25. It is same one used on most of their excavators and smaller loaders.
    Please, do not blow out an air filter with compressed air. The force of the air can easily blow a pin hole in the element allowing dirt to go through and destroy and engine. If you need blow one out, ues a low pressure blower such as a leave blower or shop vac with hose on the discharge side. Tapping them on the wheel or ground can cause the glue at the end of the element to break loose and provide a passage for dirt around the filter, so is just as risky as using compressed air.
    When do you know when to change it? Watch for tell tell signs of exhaust smoke or engine seems to be slightly under powered than normal.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    NH TN70DA & NH 2120

My little 2120 NH tells me it's time to tend to the air filter when I begin to lose a bit of power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast