Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Default Re: Engine stalls after 20 minutes, gas starved?

I had a similar situation with my Snapper Rider. I was using one of those big clear filters that I got at the auto parts store. When I replaced it with a small red filter from the Snapper dealer, the problem cleared up. I have no idea why.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

not all filters are rated for gravity feed. some require a fuel pump.. etc..

Tractor
    Kubota L3430 HST, LA723 loader

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    What happens if you disconnect the gas line from the tank (before the filter and pump) and just let it run into a container (with the tank cap on) for 10 mins?
    That should let you diagnose a tank blockage or cap vent failure issue fairly easily.

Aaron Z
    Okay I tried that with about half a gallon of gas in the tank. It is just dripping out. I took cap off and same drip flow. Is that the problem? I would think it would flow much better then that? I will replace gas line. How do you clear the gas tank?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by orangebruce View Post
    Okay I tried that with about half a gallon of gas in the tank. It is just dripping out. I took cap off and same drip flow. Is that the problem? I would think it would flow much better then that? I will replace gas line. How do you clear the gas tank?
    That is the problem, it should flow out freely. Can you shine a light into the tank to see if there is something in the outlet?
    Your problem is either:
    1. Junk in the tank plugging the outlet
    2. Junk in the fuel line plugging it up.

Try blowing (with your mouth or low pressure compressed air) backwards in the fuel line and see if that takes care of the problem. Long term you may need to remove the tank to clean it.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2850, 8N

I 'll bet this is the problem. Line swells and closes where there is a bend in the run. Mine was in back under the tank (couldn't be seen w/o removing tank). It didn't look like it should be a problem, but it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Popster View Post
    Had a similar problem. Rebuilt carb again and again. Changed fuel filters. Fooled around with gas cap in case vent was blocked. Turned out the fuel line from the tank had been destroyed by the E10. The weakened line kinked where it left the tank and made a 90 turn towards the engine. Line looked ok, but was weak internally and it closed off the gas flow. Took me months to figure it out.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2850, 8N

If this is your set-up, I wonder if the drain valve which includes strainer and filer could be clogged. It is part # 11
    -mp2565_________un01jan94-gif

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

might be junk IN the line too... or if there is a needle valve outlet.. that might be plugged

on some occasions i have seen hoses collapse or come apart and swell internally and not be noticed fromt he outside. this ethanol gas don'ty help.

fuel line on my farm CUV melted togehter onthe inside blocking flow like this. when i pulled it off.. it was gummy...

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    might be junk IN the line too... or if there is a needle valve outlet.. that might be plugged

on some occasions i have seen hoses collapse or come apart and swell internally and not be noticed fromt he outside. this ethanol gas don'ty help.
    fuel line on my farm CUV melted togehter onthe inside blocking flow like this. when i pulled it off.. it was gummy...
    I have also. And considering his so old, replacing the hose to the tank might be a good idea.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

can't hurt.. especially if it ws only dripping...

Tractor
    Kubota L3430 HST, LA723 loader

Quote Originally Posted by Popster View Post
    If this is your set-up, I wonder if the drain valve which includes strainer and filer could be clogged. It is part # 11
    -mp2565_________un01jan94-gif
    This is my exact setup. I had the Kohler engine before. BTW the valve knob (part #11) only turns about a 1/4 of a turn and does NOT shut off the gas at present. Should it?

I pushed compressed air both ways from the tank fuel fill with rag wrapped around to seal and then from the hose line back towards the tank and that did it for now. Gas free flowing again! for now. I will probably need to take tank off and clean it and replace part 11 this summer.

With cozy cab on probably more then what I want to do in the cold right now. I can barely type with how cold my hands are. If push comes to shove aux tank setup will be my backup for any more snow storms if she clogs up again.

Thanks again for all of the guys help and further thoughts and answer to my question above as always welcome and appreciated.
    Regards, Bruce
    Last edited by orangebruce; 03-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast