Snow Removal Frustration

/ Snow Removal Frustration #11  
I never felt that extra weight was much help on snow and ice.
Chains is the way to go.

Yep...I move snow with a 8000 pound Cat skidsteer, it was horrible in the snow until I put chains on it. Now it is unstoppable.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #12  
Chains for sure. Some ugly woods type and you will be a happy contented man!:eek:

Remember the rear blades have limits. When they are exceeded start working the bucket. Slower but you'll get thru.:D

/ Snow Removal Frustration #13  
With the wonderful upturn in the stock market why don't you just .....:) "buy a bigger tractor"

/ Snow Removal Frustration #14  
When the snow is too heavy for me rear blade I just use my front end loader. Yes its slow, but I do my best to think of it as just more tractor time - playing in the snow. Start taking bites that you can handle and it will get done eventually.

Oh, I make a point of using my FEL to push the snow back off the "edges" so more snow has a place to get put.

Then again, I have blacktop - not gravel. I've tried using my FEL on my neighbor's gravel driveway with only limited luck - I tend to pick up lots of gravel.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #15  
Chains are the answer. They make a BIG difference in traction.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #16  
I have turf tires and extra ballast, and have no problems.

Ballast_001.jpgBallast__Box_037.jpg

/ Snow Removal Frustration #17  
In my case I had 4wd, loaded R1 tires, and plenty of weight. Tractor was useless on packed snow or ice. Added rear chains and winter traction problems disappeared.

Attachments

• TnT4.JPG
    TnT4.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 331
   / Snow Removal Frustration #18  
Load the tires

I've got a b2620 with loaded tires. Same boat. You need chains for this last stuff that came through. I've been spinning in and on this crap for the last two weeks. I even thought of getting chains for the front, because the front tires don't grip and just slide around in the deep snow. What do you do for that, except brake steer with the drive wheels. And that 400lbs of beet juice isn't helping much.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #19  
I never felt that extra weight was much help on snow and ice.
Chains is the way to go.

Agreed weight does not help much on low coefficient surfaces when the mu level is .1 or less for ever 100 lbs you add you only gain 10 lbs of tractive effort. Or 1000 lbs equal to 100 lbs of force. On dry pavement or hard pack soil you would mu level of ~.7 or more meaning you would would add 700 lbs of tractive effort this applies to level ground. Chains are the way to go they will increase the mu level to 0.4 or better. The other problem with ballast on ice is that on a hill of moderate slope the added weight will reduce you traction and pull you down hill.

I have a tractor setup that weighs 10,000lbs and r1's it sucks on hard pack or ice even with 4wd on. Even on slight grades. I don't have $1100 to get a good set of chains for the rear right now

/ Snow Removal Frustration #20  
In the order of cost effectiveness. 1. rear chains, 2. front chains if you have clearance on steering arms and loader parts, 3, load rear tires, 4, bigger rear blade with offset, 5, front plow 6.5 foot, use dump function for power angle. 6, add third function for power angle to allow front plow to float 7, rear 3PH snow blower. 8, six drunk relatives with snow shovels.