Snow Removal Frustration

/ Snow Removal Frustration #31  
I bought mine from tirechains.com, and was pleased with their customer service. The Duo-Grip indicates the pattern of the cross chains. Duo Grip has a lot of chain and it stays up on top of the tire treads without falling between the bars.

V-bar chains have little V shaped pieces welded on the cross chains. They dig in hard like sharp cleats. You can get the duo-grip chains, and other designs, with or without the v-bars.

Just go on their website, and see what designs they have available in your tire size.

Another option I have messed with is studding the tires with screw-in studs. I bought some on eBay and tried them on my front tires. They work well, but don't go on and off like chains and they ate the garage floor more than I liked.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #32  
Here's my new-to-me plow that I mounted on my FEL for plowing snow on my B2400. I've only used it once in a decent 6 inch snow. Overall it worked great. I did have some steering issues. Going around turns the front tires would lose their grip. I bought some chains for the front which, hopefully, will alleviate this problem. Chains on the rear helped tremendously.

Attachments

• 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 240
   / Snow Removal Frustration #33  
Wow, 3 pages of replies. Thanks for the great input folks. Since traction is the root cause of my problems I believe that I will start budgeting and planning for a set of chains. Based on your replies that seems the most likely way to improve my performance in the snow. Now, regarding chains, are there different styles and designs? Lightnsound mentioned the "V-Bar Duo" chains being pretty aggressive. Is that a style or a brand (I'll google it)? I wonder how much a set of chains will break the bank. . .View attachment 306854

Of course there are different designs and applications. The most aggressive chains work great but if the operator insists on spinning he can tear up a paved drive ,concrete or asphalt, pretty quick. These work great but cost real money new.
ice chains
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

/ Snow Removal Frustration #34  
load the tires and add chains

/ Snow Removal Frustration #35  
Of course there are different designs and applications. The most aggressive chains work great but if the operator insists on spinning he can tear up a paved drive ,concrete or asphalt, pretty quick. These work great but cost real money new.
ice chains

If you are concerned about tearing up paved or concrete try the rubber chains. I picked them up this year and had no problem unless ice under the snow on my hill but nothing will help on ice.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Attachments

• image-174329905.jpg
    image-174329905.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 189
   / Snow Removal Frustration #36  
Loaded tires, double link cross studded ice chains, rear blower, heated cab and front plow.
Nothing stops me! (except wet sticky snow as the chute occasionally clogs.)
And my radio entertains me.

The double cross chains actually rarely spin as they grip so well, the only time I spin is on non compacted snow base, like off side of the drive when I decide to push back the snow banks.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #37  
My wife & I have some property in Northern Wisconsin (lots of snow). Right now I don't have to worry about plowing, but eventually we will retire there. My plan is to have a rear 3PT snowblower, so I don't have to worry about pushing anything. That will allow me to keep the FEL on. I can see where a front-mount snowblower would be nicer, but cost and the ease of mounting the rear 3PH version seems preferable to me.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #38  
My wife & I have some property in Northern Wisconsin (lots of snow). Right now I don't have to worry about plowing, but eventually we will retire there. My plan is to have a rear 3PT snowblower, so I don't have to worry about pushing anything. That will allow me to keep the FEL on. I can see where a front-mount snowblower would be nicer, but cost and the ease of mounting the rear 3PH version seems preferable to me.
When you spend a couple of long nights pretending you are an owl you just might change your mind. Keep your options open.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #39  
Coldstream,
I would add weight to your scraper blade. You should be able to come up with some way to do it. Maybe dumb bell weights mounted on a pin welded to the center of your pivot point on your blade. Weight will make a big difference when trying to move snow. I personally would never load the tires some times you need to make the machine as light as possible. Once loaded your stuck with them. My driveway is 1200 feet long, I use the loader for my snow removal not the best but its what i have. I made a 500lb ballast block for the 3pt and it turned the tractor into a tank. The last blizzard we just had was 33" inches of snow and thats without the snow drifts. Needless to say it took me 8 hrs to clear all the snow off 1200 ft plus the house area. Sometimes you just need to make due with what you have. Like you said you don't get that many big storms so i would not load the tires, i would find a away to add weight to the blade. Also add some weight to the loader bucket when scraping, Grab a nice scoop of snow and see if it helps.
Good Luck