Snow Removal Frustration

/ Snow Removal Frustration #61  
wsc9tt;364947 I also debate if I can use the rippers on the box to remove my ice layer. Probably not without messing up the driveway even more.[/QUOTE said:
That is what I do. I set the scarifiers to just start digging when I tilt it forward. about an inch. Then I tilt it back tp use the box to move the snow and ice. Cleared several hilly drives going up to some stables. I also used my snow blade after breaking up the ice in stead of the BB. Depends on available space..

/ Snow Removal Frustration #62  
I'm guessing this Tractor weighs at least 12000 lbs more if he's got filled tires. Weight alone is not your friend for solving traction problems on low co
I've explained this before but adding weight on ice or snow is not much help Smooth Ice has a surface coefficient of about 0.1mu and hard pack snow is about 0.3 on level ground on ice for every 100 pounds of weight you will get 10 lbs of tractive force. on a Hill you the weight now has 2 vectors one is the normal force now much smaller and one is the force trying to pull the tractor down the hill. Since the mu of ice is about 0.1 it does'nt have to be a very steep hill. The only thing that will help you is increasing the coefficent of friction between the surface and your tires. Since SNOW and ICE tires are out of the question for tractors Your looking at Tire Chains which are better anyways. From the research i've done in the past chains will give atleast at 0.4 mu on ice Thats the most effectie way to solve traction problems. Then add weight

Tire Friction coeffiecnts
Friction Coefficients for Ag tires to various surfaces
gravel the coefficient of friction is approximately 0.6
Hard pack snow = 0.25
Ice =0.1

/ Snow Removal Frustration #63  
I just added rear chains and the traction is unbelievable. I'm now able to push snowbanks back in a single push without spinning. They were expensive, but having used them they are definitely worth it and make snow removal much faster because you can take a bigger bite and move more volume in one pass

/ Snow Removal Frustration #64  
I still use my 1966 MF 135 with rear blade that I can angle..it works great with the tires loaded...but (after this year in northern ohio)..I sure miss the tire chains we use to have on it ...it was a little beast then...when I was a kid back in the 70's I use to pull people out every winter for cash...people were amazed what that little massey could do. I am now going to buy another set of tire chains...anybody know where I can get a good set? MF 135 bought new in 1966..never done anything to it but general maintainance..Z145 engine..and still fires right up in -10 cold.we love our little massey.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #65  
I still use my 1966 MF 135 with rear blade that I can angle..it works great with the tires loaded...but (after this year in northern ohio)..I sure miss the tire chains we use to have on it ...it was a little beast then...when I was a kid back in the 70's I use to pull people out every winter for cash...people were amazed what that little massey could do. I am now going to buy another set of tire chains...anybody know where I can get a good set? MF 135 bought new in 1966..never done anything to it but general maintainance..Z145 engine..and still fires right up in -10 cold.we love our little massey.

Once I took into account shipping I found tirechain.com to be the cheapest. I just got the Duo-grip chains, should arrive today so I can't claim how well they work yet. But it has to be better that the current sliding.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #66  
wsc9tt,
Thank's i'm going to check out tirechain.com...chains for the mf 135 are very high price around here.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #67  
wsc9tt,
Thank's i'm going to check out tirechain.com...chains for the mf 135 are very high price around here.
I don't know as you will find much regional variation in pricing. It's a world market and everybody has the internet to check prices against. But when you come down to it they make the difference between a tractor that gets the job done and a $25,000 chunk of iron that sits and spins. Even at $1000 for the top of the line ice chains they are cheap for the extra work you can get done with them.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #68  
I agree,i wish we kept the old set..they were bought back in the 70's..for some reason my dad thought we didn't need them anymore and sold them 15 years ago..they were a very good set vert heavy.We made a v shape plow for the front of our bigger tractor (1978 deutz 6806)..and used that..but that tractor is a pain in the _ _ s to start..below 40 so I just use the old dependable massey..I cant beleave how after all these years..that 35hp massey still runs great..i was driving it when I was 6 years old..now 52 lol.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #69  
Looking at the video reminded me of a customer's story last week. He has a larger front wheel assist that he just mounted new 38" radials maximo by name. He hates them. He said he cannot move from a standstill on polished snow in his yard. Nothing on the loader. He has to put it into front wheel assist to just get moving.
I am guessing that the rubber must be rather hard, and minus 20 makes it as hard as a hockey puck. ( and slide like one too)

/ Snow Removal Frustration #70  
Chains make all the difference in the world, A few snows a go, on my hill my tractor looked like the JD in the video, I slid down the hill and managed to get it back to the barn, barely. I went in and ordered the expensive chains. The difference is day and night. I have no idea what the older fella thinks he is doing with the shovel. This also shows you AG tires are no better than other tires on ice.:) They all harden up and are worthless. So is weight. You have to have a traction method, chains, studs or some way to grab onto the ground.