Snow Removal Frustration

/ Snow Removal Frustration #71  
If you find yourself stuck on ice and cannot move..ASHES work wonders.

My parents yard was built on a hill. The semi that would deliver tires would back over the top of the hill and into the bottom to unload tires. Many times he could not make it back up the hill after he dropped a bunch of weight. A few shovel fulls of ashes was all that was needed.
Last year I got my wheel loader stuck pushing snow into and beyond a ditch.. I could not back out with my useless rock tires. Half a pail of ashes and I drove backwardup the icey slope back onto the road.
This year I have snow tires on.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #72  
Once I took into account shipping I found tirechain.com to be the cheapest. I just got the Duo-grip chains, should arrive today so I can't claim how well they work yet. But it has to be better that the current sliding.

The chains arrived and they fit nicely. I got them on hand tight and didn't need tensioners to keep them in place.
The chains are really heavy (69lbs each tire) and seem to work pretty well.
But the ride is surprisingly rough, with ice on top of gravel it is really bumpy driving down the road and I find it hard to use the FEL because the machine is bouncing around so much.
It will probably be better on a softer surface where the chain can sink in, but I got this for ice. I suspect I wanted the 'ladder' style.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #73  
I had this problem with my L3600 and getting the tires loaded solved the problem. I don't know exactly how much heavier the rear is now, but boy did it make a difference.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #74  
The chains arrived and they fit nicely. I got them on hand tight and didn't need tensioners to keep them in place.
The chains are really heavy (69lbs each tire) and seem to work pretty well.
But the ride is surprisingly rough, with ice on top of gravel it is really bumpy driving down the road and I find it hard to use the FEL because the machine is bouncing around so much.
It will probably be better on a softer surface where the chain can sink in, but I got this for ice. I suspect I wanted the 'ladder' style.
You may be running more then the recommended tire pressure. A tractor tire meant to run at 20 psi will ride like a stone wheel at 32 psi.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #75  
You may be running more then the recommended tire pressure. A tractor tire meant to run at 20 psi will ride like a stone wheel at 32 psi.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't think so. The tractor just arrived from the dealer after they added Rimguard to the tires. So far the dealer has been pretty careful about things. I will verify that pressure and rimguard level.

-Wayne

/ Snow Removal Frustration
Hi folks, Coldstream here I was the OP of this thread, glad to see it's still alive! Well we had a big snow here a week or so ago, bigger than any of last years. I managed to get dug out but it did remind me that I need to get some traction aid. This snow was pretty dry and light, not wet and heavy. And there was less ice underneath so I was able to move it much easier than the large ones last year. Funny how it seems that each snow event can be different with regard to how hard it is to get cleared. I installed some gage wheels on my back blade early this winter and that has really helped me keep the gravel out of my yard while snow plowing. I've been researching making some rear tire chains for the B2920. I think that I'll save me a bit of money and it'll be a good project to take on. Supposed to be in the 50's for the next several days, here's hoping the snow is over for 2014! Man, I hope I didn't jinx it......;)

/ Snow Removal Frustration #77  
Perhaps, but I wouldn't think so. The tractor just arrived from the dealer after they added Rimguard to the tires. So far the dealer has been pretty careful about things. I will verify that pressure and rimguard level.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be trusting the guys at the dealer. Both fronts and backs were over 30psi. Letting out a bunch of air in the rear let it ride much nicer with the chains. But they are still way rougher than I expected.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #78  
If you find yourself stuck on ice and cannot move..ASHES work wonders.

My parents yard was built on a hill. The semi that would deliver tires would back over the top of the hill and into the bottom to unload tires. Many times he could not make it back up the hill after he dropped a bunch of weight. A few shovel fulls of ashes was all that was needed.
Last year I got my wheel loader stuck pushing snow into and beyond a ditch.. I could not back out with my useless rock tires. Half a pail of ashes and I drove backwardup the icey slope back onto the road.
This year I have snow tires on.

This is 100% true. A very light dusting of ashes on slick snow or even black ice turn it into great traction. We burn wood for heat, and I save a bucket of ashes for this purpose as our drive is uphill to the house. A sprinkle of ashes and it goes from impassible to no problemo.

But quality H-bar chain is the real answer. But you can bugger up black top and scar cement if you spin. just a word to the wise.

/ Snow Removal Frustration #80  
Well, I guess I shouldn't be trusting the guys at the dealer. Both fronts and backs were over 30psi. Letting out a bunch of air in the rear let it ride much nicer with the chains. But they are still way rougher than I expected.

NEVER, NEVER trust the dealer.