I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #11  
Thanks, TripleR. I did some search earlier, but hadn't run across that yet. We do miss Chuck in NH RIP.
We sure do, he was a really interesting man and good guy.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt.
James, you simply can't beat top and tilt for using a blade or box scraper, I used one years ago and finally set one up with it last year, well worth the money indeed.

Yeah, if I was going to do this very often at all, I sure would invest in it.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #13  
Yeah, if I was going to do this very often at all, I sure would invest in it.

I'm not sure how often I will use it, but I plan to get a rollover box blade that will work on my quick hitch, and top & tilt from Brian (MtnViewRanch). I'm looking forward to using them on a couple of projects on our 12 acres.

Fred

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #14  
I have the fit rite top-n-tilt from Brian and it's been great for my BB use. Mine is 5'. Still have my snow plow and chains on up north here :thumbdown:
It was 62F yesterday and now about 40F or so. Still lots of snow....:confused3:

Last edited:
   / I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #15  
I'm not sure how often I will use it, but I plan to get a rollover box blade that will work on my quick hitch, and top & tilt from Brian (MtnViewRanch). I'm looking forward to using them on a couple of projects on our 12 acres.

Fred

I didn't see the advantage to a roll over box scraper having no experience with them and got a Land Pride HR3584, but it requires three rear remotes. I am sure you will really like your setup and look forward to the pictures.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #16  
When I was growing up in So Calif back in the '50s, all the landscapers used them on an 8N or NAA, usually in conjunction with a skiploader (manual dump). The scarifiers will dig in a lot deeper with a rollover box. I have always like them over a standard box blade. I will post pictures when I am finally able to start using.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #17  
When I was growing up in So Calif back in the '50s, all the landscapers used them on an 8N or NAA, usually in conjunction with a skiploader (manual dump). The scarifiers will dig in a lot deeper with a rollover box. I have always like them over a standard box blade. I will post pictures when I am finally able to start using.

May be a regional thing as I have never seen one in my area and my dad did site prep and landscaping with his Ford 600 and a standard box blade in Mississippi long before they ever became popular up here. I think there are some old threads on them I will check out.

Fred

Hi Fred, I haven't heard from you in a good long while..Are you getting any good out of that DK45se?

James K0UA

I have the fit rite top-n-tilt from Brian and it's been great for my BB use. Mine is 6', (last I checked), still have my snow plow and chains on up north here :thumbdown:
It was 62F yesterday and now about 40F or so. Still lots of snow....:confused3:

No snow here, but it sure cooled off again after our rain on Sunday,, we had just a touch of freezing rain, but warmed back up to about 32 or 33 now I think Still not a very pretty day like Saturday was..

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #20  
A couple of things to know about roll-over box blades. They were first designed when rear remote hydraulics hadn't really even been heard of let alone commonly used. With a RO box blade you basically can set your top link and you normally would never have to adjust it again. You raise the implement up and pull a lever to rotate the box. It is common for the rippers to fall down and you would be ready to do some scarifying. :cool: After the implement has been raised and the lever pulled, you then lower down close to the ground and back up if you want the box facing backwards or pull forward to have it facing forwards. You often may need to pull on the lever to get past the ripper lock position. The whole idea was to be able to have the box in all of it's different positions without having to ever get out of the tractor seat. Where as back then with a std box blade you had to put the rippers down by hand and you had to always be adjusting the top link depending on if you were digging forward, or backwards.

Today with all the hydraulics that are available, pretty much no reason to have to move much of anything except your hand to make all of these adjustments. ;)