I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I have never been much of a rear blade person, having always been a "master" of the FEL and have moved and spread lots of dirt, gravel, and rocks with the FEL. Yes I have a small rear blade, a left over from 2 tractors ago (my much smaller B7500), but I never even put in on the Kubota L3400hst, and today was the first day I put it on my Kioti. Well it is a bit small, at only 5 foot, but I will tell you what, it made the job of scraping off the gravel on a driveway that the wife wanted to reclaim in grass and flower beds much easier and more precise than using the bucket. Now what I learned was how valuable a top and tilt and even a power angle WOULD have been, if I had it, which I don't. The getting off and on the tractor lots of times to adjust the blade angle, and also the side tilt adjustment about wore me out. Of course I could have done better with a box blade instead of the angle blade, but the old angle blade "got-er-done". I can really appreciate why guys that do a lot of this type of work would really want this convenience. I knew all of this before of course, but nothing like getting on and off a tractor a bunch of times and making manual adjustments.to bring it to your attention.:) A few good things, the crank adjuster on the side link helped a bit, and the rear 3pt lift control to allow you to "unweight" the side and top links as you adjust it was nice, and the Kioti having a nicer, smoother 3pt position control than the Kubota L3400 was a help:) Anyway a nice day, and I had some fun in the dirt.:thumbsup: Oh, did I mention, how much I love the HST transmission?:D

James K0UA

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #2  
Having fun today I see.;)

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt.
Having fun today I see.;)

I did, a beautiful day here, with probably high 60's temps, partly cloudy. Good day for scratching around...:thumbsup:

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #4  
I did, a beautiful day here, with probably high 60's temps, partly cloudy. Good day for scratching around...:thumbsup:
Still snow covered here for the most part. No playing with my blade in the dirt yet.

Glad to hear you had a good time with yours.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #5  
I have never been much of a rear blade person, having always been a "master" of the FEL and have moved and spread lots of dirt, gravel, and rocks with the FEL.

Of course I could have done better with a box blade instead of the angle blade, but the old angle blade "got-er-done". I can really appreciate why guys that do a lot of this type of work would really want this convenience. I knew all of this before of course, but nothing like getting on and off a tractor a bunch of times and making manual adjustments.to bring it to your attention.:)

Anyway a nice day, and I had some fun in the dirt.:thumbsup: Oh, did I mention, how much I love the HST transmission?:D

James K0UA

Here is a way to do it on the FEL.

Pushing dirt.
P2100035.JPG P2100029.JPG

It is on a Tilt-Tach and three point adapter. :thumbsup:
P2100038.JPG P2100039.JPG P2100041.JPG

Ditto on HST. :D

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #6  
Beautiful day yesterday. Took the chains off the tractor and removed the boxblade and snowplow. Installed the landplane and helped a neighbor work their private dirt road across from my next door neighbor. He was using his box blade and
He was impressed with the result I got with the landplane. Made for a nice 2 hours...:thumbsup:

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #7  
James, you simply can't beat top and tilt for using a blade or box scraper, I used one years ago and finally set one up with it last year, well worth the money indeed.

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #8  
Since the topic is rear blading dirt and gravel, can I ask about how much frustration is there to doing this on my B2620 with 1/4 inch valving and no top link or hydraulics. Having just finished digging in too deep in the snow with the RB and now rearranging the gravel, I just can't feather the RB to the right height for spreading it all back evenly. Admittedly I'm sort of new at it with this tractor, but is it me or something to live with since those top/tilt or hydraulics aren't on my rig?

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #9  
Since the topic is rear blading dirt and gravel, can I ask about how much frustration is there to doing this on my B2620 with 1/4 inch valving and no top link or hydraulics. Having just finished digging in too deep in the snow with the RB and now rearranging the gravel, I just can't feather the RB to the right height for spreading it all back evenly. Admittedly I'm sort of new at it with this tractor, but is it me or something to live with since those top/tilt or hydraulics aren't on my rig?

I have a real problem doing this with the 1/4 inching valve on our BX2660 and don't even bother anymore. have your read this thread on properly setting it up on your tractor? http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/212121-quarter-inching.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/180412-eat-my-words-about-1-a.html

/ I learned some things today about top and tilt while blading gravel and dirt. #10  
Thanks, TripleR. I did some search earlier, but hadn't run across that yet. We do miss Chuck in NH RIP.
Mike