Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
The UPS man brought me a Self Release Snatch Block yesterday. I never had one before but I use regular snatch blocks all the time while running my winch. Mostly to avoid snags, avoid damaging good trees, and getting around stuff and corners in general while getting a log to the tractor. If you never have seen one work before I made this little video on my first pull with the new releasing snatch block. I am thinning a softwood stand. Its a small log but you can see how it works. Saves having to walk down the bank and unhitch everything when the log gets to the block then walking back up and finish the pull.

SnatchBlock - YouTube

gg

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #2  
That's pretty cool Gordon! What releases the block?

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #3  
   / Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action
It's pretty simple. One face of the block is open and the sheave has the outside rim turned down to a smaller diameter. There is a small arm that retains the cable in the groove if you lose tension. When one of the cable sliders in front of the hook end gets to the block it forces the arm to unlock and swing. The fat slider rides up on the sheave and the cable drops out. Here is a pic of the open face side after the arm was tripped. This side goes down when using.

gg

Attachments

• SnatchBlockTripped.JPG
    SnatchBlockTripped.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 870
   / Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #5  
That's cool. Thanks for sharing the info.

After watching the video again,(with your explanation) I see how it works.

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #6  
I've wanted one of those since I bought my skidding winch. Is that a Farmi?

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action
It is very similar to the Farmi TP-14. It is actually a prototype unit from another manufacturer.

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #8  
Interesting. The last time I priced a Farmi block it was almost $300 I believe. I've been waiting for Wallenstein to come out with their own.

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #9  
Thats pretty slick. A skidding winch is on my want list I'll have to remember this

/ Unglamerous Video of my new Self Release Snatch Block in action #10  
I have been selling a rope version from Portable Winch for years. You attach a thimble to your rope a few feet in front of the log. The thimble rolls the rope off of the one sided pulley. Clever idea.

Ken