things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #1  

3roofmen

Tractor
mf 2615 & 253
Hi everyone, just thought that I would say a few things about my Massey Ferguson 2615, first of all I bought the tractor new 11-10-12, reason for buying a MF was mostly because my dad bought a new MF 253 in 1989 and it has been a very good tractor with over 5000 hrs on it now and not very much has ever had to be done to it, it still has the original clutch in it, well I guess they don't make them like they use to. Anyway about the MF 2615....about the first thing as soon as I started using it the seat was about to fall off went to tighten up the seat and found that if we tighten up the seat it was going to pinch the hydraulic lines so we had to make a plate to raise up the seat a little bit. Next thing, when tractor had about 20 hrs on it all but one of the bolts came out of the front of the drive shaft (oh yea i forgot I had to replace battery because the one it came with was causing the tractor to over charge and leak all over everything) so I got longer bolts with lock washers and locktight for front and back to put drive shaft back in. Then, I was going down a steep hill once and it ran out of fuel not big enough sump in fuel tank, so at 120 hrs on the tractor yesterday I thought I would check the drive shaft bolts to see if they were still tight and everything was good there, so for some reason I thought I would check the oil pan bolts so I reach over only with a flat screewdriver and touch one and the thing moves, so got a wrench and tighted all the oil pan bolts also found the bell housing bolts were not very tight or the trans to rearend bolts either......but with all the things wrong I still like it just hoping it will hold up in the long run.... it does start when it's real cold better than the 253 ever did.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #2  
You must have gotten one of those Monday morning or Friday afternoon tractors. Hopefully, what you have found are the worst problems that you will have to deal with.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #3  
Hi everyone, just thought that I would say a few things about my Massey Ferguson 2615, first of all I bought the tractor new 11-10-12, reason for buying a MF was mostly because my dad bought a new MF 253 in 1989 and it has been a very good tractor with over 5000 hrs on it now and not very much has ever had to be done to it, it still has the original clutch in it, well I guess they don't make them like they use to.

Anyway about the MF 2615....about the first thing as soon as I started using it the seat was about to fall off went to tighten up the seat and found that if we tighten up the seat it was going to pinch the hydraulic lines so we had to make a plate to raise up the seat a little bit. Next thing, when tractor had about 20 hrs on it all but one of the bolts came out of the front of the drive shaft (oh yea i forgot I had to replace battery because the one it came with was causing the tractor to over charge and leak all over everything) so I got longer bolts with lock washers and locktight for front and back to put drive shaft back in.

Then, I was going down a steep hill once and it ran out of fuel not big enough sump in fuel tank, so at 120 hrs on the tractor yesterday I thought I would check the drive shaft bolts to see if they were still tight and everything was good there, so for some reason I thought I would check the oil pan bolts so I reach over only with a flat screewdriver and touch one and the thing moves, so got a wrench and tighted all the oil pan bolts also found the bell housing bolts were not very tight or the trans to rearend bolts either.

.....but with all the things wrong I still like it just hoping it will hold up in the long run.... it does start when it's real cold better than the 253 ever did.

For my bad eyes. :D

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #4  
I bought a 2615 this fall, I have about 115 hours right now.

The only problems I've had was bucket wouldn't curl, dealer come out and adjusted it under warranty.

When I changed the hydraulic oil at 100 hours I found a screw in the hydraulic oil. Dealer thinks it's from the hydraulic pump, filed a report with MF and will break apart to check everything out and repair before warranty period is up.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #5  
The dealer did tell me that bolts not properly torqued is the biggest complaint he has had with these tractors.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #6  
same issues with loose bolts, oil pan, trans to rear, wheel and loader bolts. Fuel tank leaks at fuel sender access, fuel leaks at distribution block at top rear of motor, radiator leaks at cap neck.
My particular tractor had a random bolt instead of hydraulic plug in test port on top of trans. I was bathed in hot oil 30 mins after delivery. When i get tractor back it had 10 hrs on it and was leaking oil from the oil pan and bolts were loose all over and it still had hydraulic oil all over it.
Also had loose bolts on front timing cover. check every fastener everywhere.
Mine also has ran out of fuel on an incline.
265 hrs bought in august of 12.
hate the fel joystick mounted to loader. had to build my own mount.
I found the dealer did absolutely nothing to actually make sure tractor was ready for work. I get the impression that unless your buying a $60k tractor you do not deserve to actually get what you are paying for.
I modified my seat mount so that it would give more leg room, by removing the welded washer from seat mount and repalcing with plate steel to reinforce, also ran hoses under seat instead of behind.
Very capable tractor its just all these little issues that should of been dealt with before delivery. I can not stress enough it is all about the dealer. You can not make someone care that has no interest in the subject.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #7  
It's too bad the quality isn't there on these tractors, I really liked the 2605 when I was looking for a larger tractor. I liked it because it was a basic 4wd tractor at a good price. I was really considering buying one, but I test drove one with only 10hrs on it and it was leaking coolant out of the block. Based on my research leaks, loose bolts, and poor quality metallurgy are all too common on this series Massey's.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #8  
The dealer did tell me that bolts not properly torqued is the biggest complaint he has had with these tractors.

That sounds like a dealer copout to me what the OP described should have been checked on pre delivery no excuses!!

If you saw the PD sheet it would have a section regarding torque of all fasteners. Also if the dealer knew there was a problem with loose bolts then wouldn't you think they would pay closer attention to that area?

Jon

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4 #9  
That sounds like a dealer copout to me what the OP described should have been checked on pre delivery no excuses!!

If you saw the PD sheet it would have a section regarding torque of all fasteners. Also if the dealer knew there was a problem with loose bolts then wouldn't you think they would pay closer attention to that area?

Jon

That's what I'm saying the dealer makes all the difference. My dealer made sure everything was torqued to specs on mine. But pointed out that it's a known problem on these tractors.

/ things that I have found wrong with my massey ferguson 2615 4x4
We can torque the bolts on the outside but what about the ones on the inside of the tractor....just have to hope for the best I guess.....havent had to retorque the bolts on the 1989 253 mf with over 5000 hrs on it in the 24 yrs we've had it, the mf 2615 could be like that too if it were assembled with care ,but that is the american way we want too make big pay but buy cheap not that $23,900 anit a lot of money too a backwoods country boy, but what would this tractor have cost if it had been made in the states.....just saying