Radial or bias ply?

/ Radial or bias ply? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
Time for a new set of tires. Are there benefits worth spending the extra money on radials? My uses are mainly woods work and light property maintenance. I do a lot of snow moving in winter and as everyone knows snow traction with a bar type bias is terrible. I chain my tires now it is a must.

/ Radial or bias ply? #2  
We don't plow snow here, so I can't say.

But, for everything else, I think radials are the way to go. Not only will you gain traction, but radials also last longer and are more resistant to puntures. Plus, the ride is greatly improved.

/ Radial or bias ply? #3  
I have titan radials on my M8540 snow traction still sucks but snow is not what any R1s were designed for. Cant say for sure if they are worth it as they only have 250 hours in them so far so good

/ Radial or bias ply? #4  
When did most tractors start coming with radials? (My interest is in CUTS).

Do they SAY "Radial" on them? If not, how can you tell?

Thanks.

/ Radial or bias ply? #5  
I don't know of anyone making radials for CUTS and yes they say radial on the and usually also have an R in the size nomenclature.

/ Radial or bias ply? #6  
Radials are available in CUT sizes but I have never seen a CUT equipped with them. Titan's site gives a list price triple that of bias.

/ Radial or bias ply? #7  
Seems like the bigger farm tractors were starting to be offered with them in the mid 80's. I believe they are all standard with them now a day.

/ Radial or bias ply? #8  
I run radials mine actually say radial on them. They were optional on my non compact utility M8540 $750 is option i think. I don't think the OEMs offer them on CUT's

/ Radial or bias ply? #9  
On my 85 hp JD 5520 I run the 18.4x24 and 12.4x24 radials and would never go back. Excellent for tillage but I can skate across my lawn and never leave a mark. Sort-of 'float like a butterfly and sting like a bee" kind of thing. I trade the new OEMs when I buy a tractor. Next CUT will have radials all around if available and on the back only if none sized for the front. They are absolutely worth it.

/ Radial or bias ply? #10  
Thanks, everyone, for the quick, informative responses, re: radial tires and CUTS.