Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #131  
I bought this pump a couple of years and 300 hours ago. I cut the alligator clips off and soldered on a lighter plug for my BX's auxiliary power outlet. I simply drop the pump into my 5 gal. diesel can, put the plug into the outlet, and then turn the key to ACC to start the pump. It fills the tank in about a minute. The fuel left in the line drains back into the fuel can. The pump is 1.5" in diameter and 6.5" long and it does need to be submerged. But it works great and it's rated for diesel. I posted about it when I got it and some questioned if it would stand up to the diesel; it has and is still going strong. I keep it in a container like a compound pail with a cover to keep it clean and put an old towel between the wet and dry parts.

Dean

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #133  
I didn't read all 14 pages of this so someone has probably already pointed this one out but IMHO, this is the best 5-gallon can out there. Pours fast, no leaks, last forever.

Amazon.com: Eagle UI-50-FSY Yellow Galvanized Steel Type I Diesel Safety Can with Funnel, 5 gallon Capacity, 13.5" Height, 12.5" Diameter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

It also completely air tight so you can transport it in the trunk of a car and not suffocate or pass out on the way home. I've left empty ones in the trunk for weeks and had no residual smell at all.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #134  
On another forum I belong to, there is a thread about galvanizing used in fuel cans causing fuel system problems. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether that is true. I'd post the link to the other forum's thread; but I'll get reprimanded by TBN's powers that be if I do.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #135  
Trouble as in it flakes off?

Back when fuel was not so dear we used to haul funnels around in the pickup bed/box and rinse them clean with fuel prior to use. At current prices that is not going to happen.

I am wondering how others are storing the various oil and fuel funnels. For the ones that fit I have been sticking them in 5 gallon hydraulic oil pails. I have been thinking about the big ziplock bags but am not crazy about the idea.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #136  
On another forum I belong to, there is a thread about galvanizing used in fuel cans causing fuel system problems. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether that is true. I'd post the link to the other forum's thread; but I'll get reprimanded by TBN's powers that be if I do.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but... Why? Is that against the rules? :shocked:

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #137  
Not to hi-jack this thread, but... Why? Is that against the rules? :shocked:
IIRC, it is a special case and it was due to active recruiting of members for the other forum (ie: PMs spammed to many members on here with "come over to this other forum"). Generally speaking, links to other sites aren't a problem as long as its not advertising.
If you type in the web address (ie: ****************.com) it will get replaced with asterisks like mine was above as the name of the other forum was added to the naughty words list.

Aaron Z

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #138  
IIRC, it is a special case and it was due to active recruiting of members for the other forum (ie: PMs spammed to many members on here with "come over to this other forum"). Generally speaking, links to other sites aren't a problem as long as its not advertising.
If you type in the web address (ie: ****************.com) it will get replaced with asterisks like mine was above as the name of the other forum was added to the naughty words list.

Aaron Z

Okay, Thanks! I didn't realize that! I've always directed someone to a web address if I thought it could help them with a problem, but I can now (somewhat) see that problems could be created by doing-so.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #139  
Dunno about reprimand but I once mistakenly linked to a photo that I had months before posted elsewhere, when I intended my link to go to the same photo I had put on here too. After a few days the 'foreign' photo was no longer visible from here. So I asked a mod to change my link to point to the copy hosted here, which had several hundred views from back when I first posted it. Soon the link went to the TBN copy; no comment, no reprimand. I conclude that TBN mods want to maintain an appearance that this is the only tractor site on the internet. Note the terms of service here include no discussion about moderation ...

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #140  
Yep, Mo and crew are pretty tight about trying to maintain their little empire. Oops, my bad for saying that.

Anyway, to answer 3v0's question as best as I can recall. There was concern about modern low sulfur fuels leaching the zinc out of the galvanizing, and modern fuel systems were unhappy with the extra zinc in their diet. Now I wonder if modern fuel cans have a plastic lining similar to the one used on aluminum beverage cans to prevent a metallic taste from getting into your drink of choice. Also, with our sue happy society, I find it hard to believe a company would allow a product on the market that could potentially cause thousands of dollars in damage to customers' vehicles. In any case, I use plastic fuel jugs as they are affordable compared to their metal cousins.