Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Default Re: Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

I must admit that I like to use Army surplus Jerry Cans. And, for my personal convention, if it is in a Jerry can, then it is either Diesel or Biodiesel.

Make sure you find a "Diesel" flexible spout for them.

Tractor
    David Brown 780 Selectomatic, L3800 Kubota, BX2200 Kubota

Thanks everyone for the EZ-POUR idea. A local hardware store here sells them. I was afraid to purchase it because I figured maybe size or different threading then they would not fit. With your pictures though I see they will. Just lost the cap to one of my 5 gallon diesel fuel cans. Thanks again.

Tractor
    Kioti DS3510

5 bucks and a small stepstool/ladder ......take off stupid EPA pour spout is my method.

FloTool Giant Funnel - Tractor Supply Online Store

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

I built this with some copper tube, an outboard priming bulb, and a ball valve. Close the valve, squeeze the bulb until fuel flows into the tank then open the valve and wait three minutes til the can is empty. Works like a charm.

-dsc00224-jpg-dsc00895-jpg

Sean

Banned
    Tractor
    2012 JD 3720 deluxe cab

I take the nozzle off and use a funnel. I suppose some of you fellas aren't strong enough to lift the can and dump it in a funnel though

Tractor
    Bocat CT335 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Buckgnarly View Post
    5 bucks and a small stepstool/ladder ......take off stupid EPA pour spout is my method.

FloTool Giant Funnel - Tractor Supply Online Store
    Exactly what I use...vert cheap alternative and works great.
    Bobcat CT335 Hydro Cab w/ BobTach FEL, 72" Box Blade, 72" finish mower, 3pt spreader, 1000 lb. roller, tow-along 30 gal. sprayer

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by chin View Post
    I take the nozzle off and use a funnel. I suppose some of you fellas aren't strong enough to lift the can and dump it in a funnel though
    Plenty strong, here, just hurt like the blazes for a year after a rotator cuff injury.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I guess everyone has their own techniques, but I just don't have any trouble with the restricted flow spouts. I don't "hold" the can over the fuel spout. I set the can on it's side on top of a towel on the hood to not scratch the paint , with the spout pointing at the fuel filler hole. Now you can hold the spout open by pressing the lever with very moderate hand pressure. When the can has drained down to the point where the fuel has stopped coming out due to being lower than the opening, then upend the fuel can with one hand holding the spout open and the other hand supporting the can, which by now weighs very little because it is nearly empty. If I tried to hold a 40 lb. can over the fuel filler neck, at about head high, yes I can see that as being a big problem. Especially at my age, and level of strength. But all I have to do is lift it up there, and I make that easier by first lifting the can onto the front tire, then grasp it so it is oriented to lay on its side with the spout pointing down, and lift it to the loader arm. then making sure my soft towel is positioned on the hood correctly go ahead and set it on the towel on the hood in the correct position to empty into the fuel filler neck.. I never spill a drop, and it is absolutely no strain on me at all. Sure I have to lift 40 lbs about head high but it is just for a second. I hope this dissertation helps some of you, or maybe you will think I am crazy. Either way, it works for me! Oh, I did remove the "safety" off of the Blitz lever type of fuel spout, as a convenience to me in case I let go of the lever for a second to pick my nose or something, I did not have to push in the stupid little safety lever each time. I have thought about putting in the tire valve to make the emptying go a little faster but it is so easy to just hold the lever and watch it drain, I haven't bothered to do it yet.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

I put the can on the hood, stick a 3' piece of garden hose from can to tank. Then put in a 1' piece of 1/4" tubing just inside the spout opening. Wrap a plastic shopping bag around hoses and spout, and blow into the 1/4" tube. Empties the can pretty quick. Reminds me of my teenage siphoning days.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

I agree with Bruce. The NO-Spill cans are great. They cost a little more but they are definitely worth it. I use them for filling the lawn mower/chainsaw/weed eater. You can controll the flow so you don't get the fuel all over the engine/equipment.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast