Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #42  
Hmmmm... that sounds interesting. Never thought that the "trickle" was due to a lack of a vent.

I was thinking of just taking the darn spigot off of the gas (diesel) can and pouring into a big funnel

I take the entire cap/spout off...and then invert the Diesel can...within seconds it is emptied into my tank...my tank is a side mount though...and has nice places to lean the container against while dumpin in the fuel...and my tank will hold at least 20 gallons...although i've not emptied mine out. I just use enough that i know an entire jug will go in readily.

cheers

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #43  
Hmmmm... that sounds interesting. Never thought that the "trickle" was due to a lack of a vent.

I was thinking of just taking the darn spigot off of the gas (diesel) can and pouring into a big funnel

That works. WalMart sells long skinny funnels that are perfect - they're black and ~6" opening at the top, and 18" long.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #44  
I thought it was just me. Have spilled more gasoline with the spill proof spouts than I ever did with the previous ones. I also have two of the old style ( pre-government conrtol ) 6 gallon diesel plastic cans. I have been using the funnel technique and that works pretty well. Still, holding them even over the funnel is awkward. I have a siphon but have not tried it yet. Somewhere on TBN I read that a board placed across the FEL arms to set the can on and a siphon stops you from holding the can up for so long. That might work for my Kubota with the fill hole right in the center of the hood.

Have you ever tried to put gas in a car with a new can and new nozzle - the ones with the little switch, anyway? It absolutely can't be done without a big long funnel, and I didn't have one with me. I ended up pouring from my stupid eco 5-gal can into an old-style 1 gallon can with a normal nozzle, then into the truck, spilling on both ends. By the time I got all the gas in there, I had at least a quart on the ground. That's eco-friendly? Typical liberal mandated cluster-f**k.

JayC

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #45  
I use a battery operated pump that can be found in most hardware stores for filling kerosene heaters. Works off 2 D cell batteries. Works great and no mess. When the tank gets full you just flip the switch and that's it. I think the cost of the pump was 10 or 15 dollars.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #48  
Here's my solution, after several unsatisfactory methods for pouring a 5 gallon jug.

It's a 15 gallon barrel, so its not too heavy to rassle out of the trailer after going to fill it. I have a second barrel like it. They originally held carwash detergent.

And a HF $30 pump, the one that can pump or suck depending on which way the handle is turned. That's so I can steal fuel from one tractor for the other if I ever have to - or empty the tractor's tank for some reason.

The delivery end of the hose is an easy fit into the second bung. I park it in there to keep it clean. And the fitting near the end of the hose is simply ballast so the hose doesn't jump out of the tractor while fueling.

265863d1337457720-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-p1670121rfuelcaddy.jpg

California,

I LOVE it!

One question: how is the pump's pickup tube held into the plastic tank's bung? Was the bung originally threaded, and is the HF pump threaded, in the same size/pitch? Or did you do some modification?

Thanks.

My Hoe

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #49  
Both the pump and the plastic barrel have standard bung threads like a 55 gallon drum. (I think same as 2" water pipe).

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #50  
I use a Silvan 50 Litre Diesel Tank/Pump. It has a 12V pump that runs off of the tractor's battery & it allows me to climb up and trigger-nozzle into the fuel tank. It's an expensive system (compared to the ones suggested on this thread) but I made it part of the deal when I bought my tractor. My thinking was that, sure I'm a healthy 55 now but, lifting a 20 Litre 'can' when I'm 75 may be a problem... or cause a problem.:laughing: Sort of a 'pay now or pay (for it) later' angle on the purchase.