Fuel can is hard to handle!!!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #51  
... sure I'm a healthy 55 now but, lifting a 20 Litre 'can' when I'm 75 may be a problem... or cause a problem.:laughing: Sort of a 'pay now or pay (for it) later' angle
My reasoning, exactly. I'm closer to 75 than I am to 55. Twice in the last five years I've been on crutches recovering from pinched back nerves - each instance caused by heavy lifting then turning at an awkward angle. I need to recognize that just because I can get a heavy object off the floor it doesn't mean I can walk all around carrying it without pinching that nerve again. I tend to forget that its been 40 years since I worked construction and lifted stuff like that.

In addition to making the refueling caddy, this year I bought two premium ultralight aluminum orchard ladders to replace a top-heavy one that tries to turn me head-over-heels as I tip it down sideways to carry it. Again, a recognition of risk and a remedy to prevent injury.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #52  
I'm fortunate that my tractor and my dump truck uses diesel. I bought a hand pump from TSC and fitted it with a flexible hose. When I need to fill up the tractor, I just pull up along side the dump truck, put the pump in the 100 gallon fuel tank, and the hose in the tractor, and fill it up.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #54  
From the Jeg's website on these jugs.

These jugs are not intended to contain fuel or kerosene. Putting fuel or kerosene in these jugs in California is not permitted and will violate California law.

Christ, everything violates the law in Banifornia.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #55  
mjncad;3243624[COLOR="#FF0000" said:
These jugs are not intended to contain fuel or kerosene. Putting fuel or kerosene in these jugs in California is not permitted and will violate California law.

Christ, everything violates the law in Banifornia.
Here's why:

230667d1316721966-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-sacsmog9-21-11.jpg

That's a picture of Sacramento, California's state capital.

This is what we see filling the Sacramento Valley as we come down off the Sierras on any warm summer afternoon. Visibility in this photo is far better than in Los Angeles where I've seen the mountains only a few miles away, disappear into smog as the afternoon warms up. They have days when kids can't go outside for recess.

Bureaucrats didn't initiate the smog-fighting rules, rather, the action was started by choking citizens who demanded that their government DO SOMETHING to restore the beautiful air quality in California. As you can see by that 2011 photo, the measures in place have helped some but haven't remedied the problem completely.

Here's another post where I discussed that photo.

Sorry that all the air quality remedies we need, also impact you guys too!

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #56  
Have you ever tried to put gas in a car with a new can and new nozzle - the ones with the little switch, anyway? It absolutely can't be done without a big long funnel, and I didn't have one with me. I ended up pouring from my stupid eco 5-gal can into an old-style 1 gallon can with a normal nozzle, then into the truck, spilling on both ends. By the time I got all the gas in there, I had at least a quart on the ground. That's eco-friendly? Typical liberal mandated cluster-f**k.

JayC

I was wondering if anyone besides me was having that issue. i found a couple of the old style, 5 gal. containers at a garage sale, and grabbed them. I have yet to figure out the trick to the new nozzles, and there is no vent at the rear of the new container.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #57  
I was wondering if anyone besides me was having that issue. i found a couple of the old style, 5 gal. containers at a garage sale, and grabbed them. I have yet to figure out the trick to the new nozzles, and there is no vent at the rear of the new container.

Step one.. take a pair of needle nose pliers and rip out the little "safety switch".. then either punch a hole in the other end of the can. and plug it with a golf tee. or if you want to get fancy, you drill a 1/2 inch hole in the can on the other end,, take a piece of wire and thread a tire Schrader valve with the stem removed, up thru the hole from the inside, and the rubber grommet will hold it in place when you pull on it.. and put the cap back on the Schrader valve. When you want to use the can take the cap off of the Schrader Valve and push on the lever, and it will empty fast.

Schrader valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #58  
I think the theory of the new cans is that as you refuel, they are supposed to capture the vapor expelled from your tank so nothing escapes to the atmosphere. (To make smog like the photo above). But obviously this isn't working very well with the present version of the new fuel jugs. Someone should invent one that actually works.

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #59  
I think the real culprit is too many people and buildings, in too small an area. The breeze can't get through to clear out the smog. I doubt a few vapor fumes are the cause.

I do wish California had been really smart and passed the prop requiring labels on all GMO goods, last fall. That would have been one worth getting on the books. Big money and corporations won that one too. *sigh*

/ Fuel can is hard to handle!!! #60  
I think the real culprit is too many people and buildings, in too small an area. The breeze can't get through to clear out the smog.
So true. San Francisco has gorgeous air despite 8 million or so people in the region ... because the prevailing wind comes in from the Pacific Ocean and pushes all their smog over into the Central Valley (100 miles inland) where it stacks up against the Sierra Range (essentially a 9,000 ft wall that runs for hundreds of miles). That photo is partly local smog but I expect most of it blew over from the San Francisco Bay region. The Sierras block any weather from moving East - that's why Northern California smog concentrates here and Nevada is pure desert, even though its right next door.

After most gross emission sources were limited years ago, the small stuff like paint solvent formulas and these stupid cans come into focus as the few remaining easily preventable sources. Some measures work better than others ...

As for too many people - I don't think anyone wants government to get into limiting that. So the emphasis remains on going after every possible pollution source.