Shower of sparks from exhaust

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #11  
It means you have been puttering around and light loading the engine. Excessive idling and short run times also fail to warm the engine. Using a block heater below 40F ? That will shorten warm up time and provide cleaner combustion. All that happened is that you finally warmed the engine up, worked it and cleaned out the soot.

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #12  
What the guys have already said is true.. a chunk of carbon flakes off in the combustion chamber and is first pulverized by the top of the piston then blown out of the muffler as a shower of sparks. We often see it running generator sets on a load bank. An engine that has been lightly loaded and carboned up will often do this when you take it to 100% load. Usually only visible at night.

We often mistake high rpm for heavy load. This isn't true. A diesel engine is speed governed, which means the governor will maintain the set speed regardless of applied load within the engine's capability. It doesn't take a lot more fuel to run at 100% speed compared to low idle. When you add load the exhaust temperature increases, which is what causes the carbon to flake off and burn. A diesel engine running unloaded often has an exhaust temp of no more than 200 degrees F, the same engine at full power can be over 1000 degrees F.

I've considered adding an exhaust pyrometer to mine on a few occasions, more out of curiosity than any need to monitor the exhaust temps.

Sean

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #13  
This happened to me in my 83 GMC when I was 18. Took my girlfriend at the time out and while climbing a steep hill (WFO in my old 6.2 diesel) I noticed sparks pouring from both tail pipes. On the flats it was fine. I was so scared that I made her jump out and wait while I inspected the truck. I didn't want us to get caught in a car fire.

I always though it was rust in the exhaust system, as the truck was recently put on the road after a long stint in the garage. Never thought about carbon build up.

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #17  
I've considered adding an exhaust pyrometer to mine on a few occasions, more out of curiosity than any need to monitor the exhaust temps.

Sean[/QUOTE]

My duramax has one that came with the 6 gun banks kit. It is interesting to see the difference between loaded and unloaded. Have had it pretty high towing trailers, over 1200 degrees.

I would like to have one on the tractor too. Just for my own curiosity as well.

These diesels like to be worked. Seems they will never get to temp without a load.

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #19  
My duramax has one that came with the 6 gun banks kit. It is interesting to see the difference between loaded and unloaded. Have had it pretty high towing trailers, over 1200 degrees.

I would like to have one on the tractor too. Just for my own curiosity as well.

These diesels like to be worked. Seems they will never get to temp without a load.

My old David Brown 880 which I bought used about 1978 was probably built in the late sixties was not the least bit pollution controlled or fuel efficient. Under full load going down a road at night the excess fuel would still be burning as it went through the muffler and the top half would get cherry red 1400deg. F with plenty of sparks. I'd say it was a low tech machine but it had draft control, differential lock and a FEL .

/ Shower of sparks from exhaust #20  
Let's just stick 'fornicating" in there and see if it fits...

:laughing:

Sean

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle. I never thought to go in that direction. I remember a time when a lot of my words weren't "church" words either.