3-Point Hitch newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure??

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #1  

Mobile1

Tractor
Ford 1700
hello all.
i have purchased my very first tractor a ford 1700 4wd with 770 loader and meteor blower.
my question is about the 3 pth .should this have down pressure?
i find that the blower will rise up on any packed snow like a tire track for example.
then i end up with inches of snow left in the driveway...
any advice or ideas would be great.. thanks in advance ...steve

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #2  
No such thing as down pressure. Try adding weight to the blower.

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #3  

I'd wager 98% of farm tractors have NO downpressure on the 3pt ohter than gravity.

on rare occasion to see add on or helper cyls that can add DP.. or non oe 3pt kits made with DA cyls that can add DP.. but they are the exception.. not the rule.

dp on a 3pt would work against traction.

ballast your blower if needed. make sure it's feed angle is correct, if it is adjustable.

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #4  
hello all.
i have purchased my very first tractor a ford 1700 4wd with 770 loader and meteor blower.
i find that the blower will rise up on any packed snow like a tire track for example.
then i end up with inches of snow left in the driveway...
any advice or ideas would be great.. thanks in advance ...steve

:welcome:

That's pretty much the norm! Just get what you can with the blower, then use the FEL to break-loose the remaining, and repeat if needed.

Congrats on the new toy! :thumbsup:

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #5  
No extra weight should be needed. I found that adjusting both the top link and the skid shoes make a big difference in blower performance. My first time using the snow blower on my 1510 resulted in riding over the hard-packed drifts. I then started making the needed adjustments. Once I found the sweet spot, I measured the top link and wrote the measurement on the side of the blower with a sharpie, so every time I hook up the snow blower, it only takes a few seconds with a tape measure to get it perfect, as the skids never have to change.

It will now stall out the tractor (if I let it) instead of riding up on the drifts.

Joe

/ newbie ford 1700 3pth down pressure?? #6  
Oops! Upon a second read of the original post, I see you were referring to leaving hard packed snow behind. My bad! Yes, "hard pack" is the norm with snow blowers, especially if you have a gravel drive. I actually prefer a good hard pack to keep from throwing rocks all over the place. Still, you should be able to adjust your set-up to leave a very minimum amount behind, like well under one inch. Certainly far less than several inches.

Good luck!

Joe