So tell me again

/ So tell me again #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
Not long ago we discussed liquid ballast in rear tires but I can't find it. I have 16.9 x 30s. How much of the new ballast, not calcium, will in hold and how much will it weigh?

/ So tell me again #2  
The weight will depend on what liquid you use for ballast. CaCi and rimguard is about 11lbs. per gallon, water is about 8.1lbs. per gallon, methanol is supposed to be lighter, Antifreeze and washer fluid are about the same as water.

Not sure how much yours holds.

But if you click on your name in this thread, you can search all your posts till you find the thread about the ballast, if you posted there.

/ So tell me again #3  
Calcium chloride and beet juice will be around 11 +\- pounds a gallon. About everything else will be around 8.5 +\- pounds per gallon. I was looking online a few days ago and ran across a chart for tire size that showed how many gallons at 75% full of fluid.

Liquid Tire Ballast Chart

/ So tell me again #4  
Calcium chloride and beet juice will be around 11 +\- pounds a gallon. About everything else will be around 8.5 +\- pounds per gallon. I was looking online a few days ago and ran across a chart for tire size that showed how many gallons at 75% full of fluid.

Liquid Tire Ballast Chart
Not to be argumentative, but your chart shows methanol at 6.5lbs. per gallon.

/ So tell me again #5  
Don, you are right about methanol and the chart. I overlooked it. But the chart gives the weight based on gallons of water.

/ So tell me again #6  
So from the chart soggy's 16.9 x 30 take 73 gallons times 11 lbs per gallon of beet juice comes to 803 lbs per tire. That will give you some grip.

/ So tell me again #7  
Don, you are right about methanol and the chart. I overlooked it. But the chart gives the weight based on gallons of water.
I try to steer people away from methanol when I can. At almost 2lbs. less per gallon, that can add up to a lot of weight loss on a larger tire. Although any ballast is better than none, and they claim methanol is cheap compared to Rimguard.

/ So tell me again #8  
Don, I don't particularly like the idea of riding around on an alcohol bomb. That's of course a bit of an exaggeration. We have calcium chloride in the tires on all four of our tractors. They are filled to 75%.

/ So tell me again #9  
Don, I don't particularly like the idea of riding around on an alcohol bomb. That's of course a bit of an exaggeration. We have calcium chloride in the tires on all four of our tractors. They are filled to 75%.
:laughing: :laughing: I like how you stated that.

/ So tell me again
Thanks guys. That'll bring a 5000lb Farmall 75C to about 6600lbs, another 500lbs on the front and it''ll be ready to go to the field with.