Dirt Moving do I nven need a tractor?

/ do I nven need a tractor? #11  
I flipped a little ford tractor into a pond as a teenager. I did "feel" it so I bailed off into the water and was able to get around it and back on bank as it went on over. Kinda like slow motion. Four tires and the underside of 5' mower was all that could be seen. I will never wear a seat belt on a tractor. Sounds like your land is quite hilly so gotta be careful.
I always wear my belt because our tractors are all equipped with ROPS and it wont always be possible to "get around it and back on bank as it went on over".
If I am belted in on a ROPS equipped tractor my chance of surviving a rollover is close to 100% (as long as I dont get knocked out as I am rolling into the pond) whereas if I am not belted in on the same tractor or am on a tractor without a ROPS my chances are 50/50 at best.

Aaron Z

/ do I nven need a tractor? #12  
If you feel that it is unsafe then it is is unsafe. That is the wisest decision. Meters and graphs would be of little comfort to me.

Totally agree with this statement. As for your original question......Life sucks without a tractor.:D

/ do I nven need a tractor? #13  
You don't really need a tractor, but you will find it makes your work go much easier and faster. Moving dirt and compost by shovel and wheelbarrow is labor intensive, especially if you have to move it back up a hill to get it where you want it.

If you buy a modern tractor I would highly recommend reading the operators manual that should come with it. The manuals that came with my last two tractors contained some good instructions for ballasting and safely operating on slopes.

Also I must compliment your choice for a second religion. Keep practicing and don't give up the faith.:thumbsup:

/ do I nven need a tractor? #14  
I always wear my belt because our tractors are all equipped with ROPS and it wont always be possible to "get around it and back on bank as it went on over".
If I am belted in on a ROPS equipped tractor my chance of surviving a rollover is close to 100% (as long as I dont get knocked out as I am rolling into the pond) whereas if I am not belted in on the same tractor or am on a tractor without a ROPS my chances are 50/50 at best.

Aaron Z

In my case, my head would have been under water if I was strapped in and I feel like am still agile enough to be able to jump off. Hope never have to find out.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #15  
In my case, my head would have been under water if I was strapped in and I feel like am still agile enough to be able to jump off. Hope never have to find out.
Just dont trip on that stick sitting on the bottom, or get slowed down by sticky mud on the bottom, then fall and land under the descending ROPS...
99% of my tractor work is done in places away from water, so the probability of rolling into the water and getting trapped there are very low.

Aaron Z

/ do I nven need a tractor?
My mistake. I was trying to figure out if I need a full size tractor or will one of the little "bobcat" type things be better suited to the job. Is a smaller lower to the ground more stable? I have seen them doing road work so I assume it will have the power.
As for the shovel, I just celebrated the 56th anniversary of my 9th birthday. I refuse to grow any older than 9! So forget the shovel thing for bigger jobs.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #17  
Just buy a new tractor and lots of diesel and send me keys and address and Ill be right over to play with your new toy I mean fix your land.

/ do I nven need a tractor?
:laughing:
Just buy a new tractor and lots of diesel and send me keys and address and Ill be right over to play with your new toy I mean fix your land.
Don't tempt me. I am the one that designed the "Shanghai Cards" and am not above taking full advantage of those of the weaker sex. :D

/ do I nven need a tractor? #19  
I have farmed under all sorts of conditions on all sorts of land in several countries, with a big range of tractor makes and sizes, and anything over about an acre needs some sort of mechanical help if you are a young, big, strong, fit person. At your age (a bit younger than me) you will kill yourself without it.

It sounds as if you are inexperienced with tractors. A proper agricultural tractor is essential because it is built to deal with slopes and uneven ground. At the same time there is one simple rule - ALWAYS travel up or down hills, NEVER across them. You have no hope whatsoever of getting off a rolling tractor. Again the right young person can sometimes do it.

As for exactly what you do need, then I strongly suggest you find a couple of knowledgeable people (any one person will be biased) to advise on a make and model. It will need serviced and perhaps repairs from time to time, and you do not want to have to travel 200 miles to a dealer. Most manufacturers make what they call "compact" models - that is proper tractors but built lower to the ground to give more stability through a low centre of gravity. I currently use a New Holland 45hp 2wd compact, bought new and it is as manouverable as a little grey Ferguson with a lot more pulling power and the advantages of 4wd and differential lock. One last point, be very wary of fitting a front end loader and travelling with it loaded and lifted. Your centre of gravity is moved high on these occasions. Unlike virtually everyone who posts on TBN I have farmed without FELs since 1979, finding a box on the back just as easy to use for anything I need to do.

The important thing is do as whistlepig and jerrybob advise. Feel safe at all times, and you should be.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #20  
Yep. See Gradient, Slope, Grade, Pitch, Rise Over Run Ratio Calculator for a calculator that shows the angles. Entering a 100' rise and a 830' run gives ~12% grade or about a 7 degree slope. Most tractors should be able to handle that

Aaron Z

I wouldn't have a whole lot of use for a tractor if I couldn't use it on 12% grade. None of my land is flat.

And if your asking if you need a tractor, then you've already waited too long to get one! :D