Dirt Moving do I nven need a tractor?

/ do I nven need a tractor? #31  
Duh! Now why didn't I think of that? I like the idea of a test drive. I mean I do it before I buy a car. This is such a great site and my thanks to all of you.

I will second on renting a tractor first. I demo'd a tractor that I thought I really had to have once. After bringing it to the place and trying it out I almost instantly decided I didn't like that tractor after all. It would be a shame to buy something you don't like. I have operated big yellow iron for all of my life. I can tell you that if you are scared of something then do not do it. I think fear has hurt more people than I can think of. I seen a guy turn a motor grader over on a 3:1 which is not that bad but he was scared. But if you let fear run the machinery it can hurt you.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #32  
i would hire somone to do it then you dont have maintance on the tractor and you dont have to be scared of the tractor i wouldnt even look at sub a 100 horse power for that job

/ do I nven need a tractor? #33  
Once you buy a tractor, you will wonder how you lived without it! Just today I used mine to move a picnic table from one part of property to another (couple hundred yards). That took all of five minutes, but would have been a huge hassle with a truck/trailer, dolly, etc.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #34  
From some brief reading here, i would consider a tracked skidsteer. if all your doing is moving dirt and such and possibly some mowing go with a highflow tracked unit. They are unbelievably stable on steep slopes.
Personally, i have been on a tractor for 53 years now in all sorts of foolish places, i cant say i have been scared of situations but i show respect for the machines capabilities and will push it to the limit and then some, Its all right to be scared to operate a piece of equipment on a slope, it is dangerous work for a new comer, a lot to take in and understand, go slow and start on some level ground to start out. Soon it will come natural just like when you learned to walk.
If in doubt then the best thing is to rent a certain piece of equipment for a weekend and try it, dont forget the insurance on it in case it does roll .. . Becareful and good luck, John
BTW ( 3 years ago i rolled a Barko log loader over the side of a mountain it stopped 300' down on a ledge when the ground gave way, i havent regained the nerve to operate one since and i operated one of these for 30 years)

Attachments

• my kinda cat.jpg
    my kinda cat.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
   / do I nven need a tractor? #35  
You absolutely do NOT need a tractor, BUT I could use a second one so if you're game I'll show you how to operate the one you buy and when I'm done doing the work you need done I'll just disappear into the wind with my new tractor and you still won't need one! :dance1:
It's a deal one needs to entertain!

/ do I nven need a tractor? #36  
Of course you "need" a tractor to do the hings you WANT to do with your property. I agree with hiring the heavy dirt moving and grading then get a tractor for your property maintenance and tractor capable improvements. I've hired heavy equipment on several occasions. A pro does the heavy work better and faster than I can with a tractor.

/ do I nven need a tractor?
You absolutely do NOT need a tractor, BUT I could use a second one so if you're game I'll show you how to operate the one you buy and when I'm done doing the work you need done I'll just disappear into the wind with my new tractor and you still won't need one! :dance1:
It's a deal one needs to entertain!

I think I like boxorox's idea better. I will be going up to the property soon I hope I will have some pictures for you then.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #38  
From some brief reading here, i would consider a tracked skidsteer. if all your doing is moving dirt and such and possibly some mowing go with a highflow tracked unit. They are unbelievably stable on steep slopes.
Personally, i have been on a tractor for 53 years now in all sorts of foolish places, i cant say i have been scared of situations but i show respect for the machines capabilities and will push it to the limit and then some, Its all right to be scared to operate a piece of equipment on a slope, it is dangerous work for a new comer, a lot to take in and understand, go slow and start on some level ground to start out. Soon it will come natural just like when you learned to walk.
If in doubt then the best thing is to rent a certain piece of equipment for a weekend and try it, dont forget the insurance on it in case it does roll .. . Becareful and good luck, John
BTW ( 3 years ago i rolled a Barko log loader over the side of a mountain it stopped 300' down on a ledge when the ground gave way, i havent regained the nerve to operate one since and i operated one of these for 30 years)

A tracked skid like jpm1 shows is what our landscaper used when we built our house. He whizzed across our hillside with the various blades and levelers at top speed. I can climb the hill he was on with my BX, but I'd never go across it like he did. Lots of weight, all but dragging on the ground. I'm sure you could roll one of those, but you'd have to work at it a lot harder than a tractor.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #39  
I agree on how much you will use as I have small kubota and nowa little larger shibaura an I dont go 1 or 2 days without using one of them at least once the more you use them the more comfortable you will be behind the wheel and the more fun you will have using them. my 2 cents worth is buy the biggest one you can haul and comfortibly afford as my bigger one gets things done faster, also take the time to make sure the salesman shows you all the safety features and all the knobs and whistles before you leave with it read the owners manual and ask any operatingquestions you might have if you have to write down questions before you go.good luck.be safe.have fun.