Dirt Moving do I nven need a tractor?

/ do I nven need a tractor? #1  

stefanie

Tractor
none
I have 15 acres in Ten Mile, TN. Some of it is a bit hilly the rest of it is very hilly. One slope is going to be for the goats because nothing else can climb it.
There is about a 100ft drop into the hollow where all the top soil that runs off close to 300 acres collects. I will be taking this to different places on the property as it builds up. I have designed a dam that will stop the soil but let the water pass through.
There is about a 100ft drop over a 830ft run, will I be able to use a tractor on this? Can I terrace this with a tractor or will it have to be done by a pro?
I will be collecting plant debris for composting; the county land fill is not that far away. This will have to be turned from time to time and then mixed with the soil in the hollow.
My main question is how easy is it to flip a tractor. Will I be able to feel the instability as it starts to approach the flipping point? I ask these questions keeping in mind that I must always be true to my second religion. I am a devout chicken.
Any input would be very much appreciated.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #2  
by the time you sense it you will be upside down.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #3  
trick question

/ do I nven need a tractor? #4  
Welcome to TBN.

If we start with your thread title............no, you don't need a tractor, people used shovels for years.

Go to the body of your post, if you aren't familiar with road building, or terracing get help or hire it out.

It's really hard for us to see what you are doing without pictures, and we here at TBN love pictures anyway. The 100 drop in 830 can be done with the right tractor, but a dozer would probably be better..........but we need pics or something to go by.

As Murphy1244 said "by the time you sense it you will be upside down".

/ do I nven need a tractor? #5  
The feel of instability only comes with years of close calls that one was lucky enough to have survived. I've had my share of these. Not because I wanted to but because I had to. I would not recommend this method of learning to anyone that wishes for a long life. Tractors are wonderful tools. But they are dangerous. Not something to loose the fear of.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #7  
   / do I nven need a tractor? #8  
If you feel that it is unsafe then it is is unsafe. That is the wisest decision. Meters and graphs would be of little comfort to me.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #9  
I flipped a little ford tractor into a pond as a teenager. I did "feel" it so I bailed off into the water and was able to get around it and back on bank as it went on over. Kinda like slow motion. Four tires and the underside of 5' mower was all that could be seen. I will never wear a seat belt on a tractor. Sounds like your land is quite hilly so gotta be careful.

/ do I nven need a tractor? #10  
100' drop in 830' is just over a 10% slope.
Which is fairly flat. (I think).

Pooh Bear

You read my mind..... I would not be the least bit scared with any tractor on that.