Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

Default Instead of bucket hooks

The guys who make bucket hooks tell me my loader bucket isn't big enough to handle them. Now I'm looking for something else that will let me lift things that are too bulky to go in the bucket.

Here's my latest brainstorm: The crossbar between my boom arms is a hollow tube. I'm thinking to run a length of heavy chain through that tube, and put hooks on either end. I can hang things from the hooks, and the hooks will stop the chain from falling out of the tube. Any reason that's not a good idea?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Instead of bucket hooks-loaderpipe-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N

Personally, I would reinforce the bucket edge and put hooks on them.
    If you put the chain thru the tube, it would work, I think, but being behind the bucket, it would not be as convenient for hooking up stuff.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200 Deere X380 Kubota RTV-X

Default Re: Instead of bucket hooks

That front bucket is fine for hooks -- many people here have hooks on the front loaders of kubota B series. If you're worried about the lip, just mount them farther back on the top of the bucket:

Instead of bucket hooks-img_2842-jpg

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135

+1 on reinforcing and adding hooks. A section of 3" channel behind the top bucket lip would work fine. Then weld your hooks to that.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Summey View Post
    +1 on reinforcing and adding hooks. A section of 3" channel behind the top bucket lip would work fine. Then weld your hooks to that.
    re

+2 on reinforcing! Or just paint the bucket green and you'll be fine!
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Branson 3520R

Green?!!!
    Branson Red!

Silver Member

I welded some flat stock vertically between the back of the bucket lip and the back wall of the bucket. About 5-6 pieces evenly spaced. I can hook a chain to any of those pieces. Works really good for me. Over time the bucket top bent slightly in the center. I had to straighten it and reinforce the bucket lip/top of bucket with a piece of angle iron.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Quote Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
    I welded some flat stock vertically between the back of the bucket lip and the back wall of the bucket. About 5-6 pieces evenly spaced. I can hook a chain to any of those pieces. Works really good for me. Over time the bucket top bent slightly in the center. I had to straighten it and reinforce the bucket lip/top of bucket with a piece of angle iron.
    Had you painted it green it would have never bent like that!
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    JD 4720

Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahJoe View Post
    The guys who make bucket hooks tell me my loader bucket isn't big enough to handle them. Now I'm looking for something else that will let me lift things that are too bulky to go in the bucket.

Here's my latest brainstorm: The crossbar between my boom arms is a hollow tube. I'm thinking to run a length of heavy chain through that tube, and put hooks on either end. I can hang things from the hooks, and the hooks will stop the chain from falling out of the tube. Any reason that's not a good idea?
    I have done that on the last two tractors I've owned and have had great results with what you are suggesting. I also had bucket hooks on the last tractor and found them to be useful, but I use the tube and chain setup more frequently. I drilled a hole in the center of the tube and placed a grade 8 bolt through the tube and through the center-most link in the chain, that way the chain can't shift. Works great.
    Mark

JD 4720, 400X FEL, JD MX6 Brush Cutter, 72" JD 7-Iron MM mower, 7ft Farm King disk, 6ft LandPride scraper/pulverizer, 7ft King Kutter II rotary tiller, 7ft King Kutter landscape rake, 6ft Buhler box scraper, 2-row Yetter planter, 3pt quick hitch, 3pt trailer hitch lift, 3pt carryall, Hydraulic top link, Wallenstein BX62 chipper

JD X720, 60" 7-Iron mower, 47" front-mount snowblower.

Tractor
    Kubota b2620, LA364 loader.custom rear remotes, THUMB bucket grapple, 60" box blade 72" landscape rake &many other toys

The loader lift capacity is not huge on the CUT's, so it doesn't take much reinforcement for the hooks, some 3/16 or 1/4" is all it takes.
    I've tested these to the max lift a few times.

But the chain idea should work too..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Instead of bucket hooks-image-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast