Instead of bucket hooks

/ Instead of bucket hooks #1  

ShenandoahJoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
The guys who make bucket hooks tell me my loader bucket isn't big enough to handle them. Now I'm looking for something else that will let me lift things that are too bulky to go in the bucket.

Here's my latest brainstorm: The crossbar between my boom arms is a hollow tube. I'm thinking to run a length of heavy chain through that tube, and put hooks on either end. I can hang things from the hooks, and the hooks will stop the chain from falling out of the tube. Any reason that's not a good idea?

Attachments

• loaderPipe.jpg
    loaderPipe.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 579
   / Instead of bucket hooks #2  
Personally, I would reinforce the bucket edge and put hooks on them.
If you put the chain thru the tube, it would work, I think, but being behind the bucket, it would not be as convenient for hooking up stuff.

/ Instead of bucket hooks #3  
That front bucket is fine for hooks -- many people here have hooks on the front loaders of Kubota B series. If you're worried about the lip, just mount them farther back on the top of the bucket:

IMG_2842.jpg

/ Instead of bucket hooks #4  
+1 on reinforcing and adding hooks. A section of 3" channel behind the top bucket lip would work fine. Then weld your hooks to that.

/ Instead of bucket hooks #5  
+1 on reinforcing and adding hooks. A section of 3" channel behind the top bucket lip would work fine. Then weld your hooks to that.
re

+2 on reinforcing! Or just paint the bucket green and you'll be fine!;)

/ Instead of bucket hooks #6  
Green?!!!
Branson Red!

/ Instead of bucket hooks #7  
I welded some flat stock vertically between the back of the bucket lip and the back wall of the bucket. About 5-6 pieces evenly spaced. I can hook a chain to any of those pieces. Works really good for me. Over time the bucket top bent slightly in the center. I had to straighten it and reinforce the bucket lip/top of bucket with a piece of angle iron.

/ Instead of bucket hooks #8  
I welded some flat stock vertically between the back of the bucket lip and the back wall of the bucket. About 5-6 pieces evenly spaced. I can hook a chain to any of those pieces. Works really good for me. Over time the bucket top bent slightly in the center. I had to straighten it and reinforce the bucket lip/top of bucket with a piece of angle iron.

Had you painted it green it would have never bent like that! ;)

/ Instead of bucket hooks #9  
The guys who make bucket hooks tell me my loader bucket isn't big enough to handle them. Now I'm looking for something else that will let me lift things that are too bulky to go in the bucket.

Here's my latest brainstorm: The crossbar between my boom arms is a hollow tube. I'm thinking to run a length of heavy chain through that tube, and put hooks on either end. I can hang things from the hooks, and the hooks will stop the chain from falling out of the tube. Any reason that's not a good idea?

I have done that on the last two tractors I've owned and have had great results with what you are suggesting. I also had bucket hooks on the last tractor and found them to be useful, but I use the tube and chain setup more frequently. I drilled a hole in the center of the tube and placed a grade 8 bolt through the tube and through the center-most link in the chain, that way the chain can't shift. Works great.

/ Instead of bucket hooks #10  
The loader lift capacity is not huge on the CUT's, so it doesn't take much reinforcement for the hooks, some 3/16 or 1/4" is all it takes.
I've tested these to the max lift a few times.

But the chain idea should work too..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 400