How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt?

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #51  
i didnt read the whole thread either.an i know this can be a very touchy subject.ive been riding the tractors with my dad as long as i can remember both open an cab.but the truth is everything has dangers no matter what it is or how careful you are.i know men that have to live with running over their child with a truck.but life isnt easy.my great nephews an neice all ride the tractors an 4 wheelers with us.an we are very careful.that said if i had a buddy seat on my tractor i would put the kids in it an let them go with me.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #52  
Ihave 4 grandsons that have been raised around tractors .I let them ride , let them feel controls , showed them what could happen . The demo video was not that big a deal . As big as dad was , that boy was not falling off . I was removing concrete with the backhoe and a chip hit one of the boys in the eye . We took care of it and life goes on . I would consider driving an automobile here on I/TEXT much more threatening .

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #53  
Arrow,
I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one! I guess I'm pretty much just trying to justify bringing the boy along with me in the safest way possible. I think NOT bringing him with me (assuming he wants to be there) isn't an option, so I'm just looking for the right way to do it I suppose. :

That part you describe is a cultural continuance and should have no bearing on what your gut is telling you. Admittedly, very difficult to separate depending on the experiences. When I asked what makes you feel better, I did not mean this to be measured with the sentimentality of past experiences but more on what you are feeling as the situation arises; basically: do you feel the circumstance you are involving the child with is a comfortably safe situation. Even the kids wants has nothing to do with it. Nothing we do is completely safe but no one should be putting their heads in the lions mouth either and i'm not saying this is that. ( unlike the 3 year old on the Harley's gas tank doing 45 mph down the street) If indeed that kid is next to you in your machine and you can be satisfied with your answer to the question posed above, that is all you and your kin need. If there is any doubt, you need to assess that in relation to your actions. "What makes you feel good?" should have several criteria.

Last edited:
   / How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #54  
I think it's great if you want to take your child along with you as long as you feel it's a safe situation and exercise caution. I give my wife a ride to where we're working, and our tractor is cabless. She holds on tight and we're careful. Being horseback riders gives us experience riding on dangerous, unpredictable things. In a lot of aspects, riding on the tractor is safer than riding on a thousand pound creature whose first instinct is to flee from danger at top speed. (And they don't come with seatbelts.)
The reason I'm writing, though, is to mention the importance of hearing protection if you're taking the kids on the tractor for extended periods. Something as simple as those foam ear plugs makes a world of difference in the long run around high decibel machinery.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #55  
man i must be weird with 38yrs of running a tractor i never use/used hearing protection an wont.nor will i most likely ever get a cab tractor because i like hearing the equipment.an knowing if the sound changes something is wrong.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #56  
man i must be weird with 38yrs of running a tractor i never use/used hearing protection an wont.nor will i most likely ever get a cab tractor because i like hearing the equipment.an knowing if the sound changes something is wrong.

I do when running a chipper thou.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #57  

Think yoursel lucky . I am only 37 and was one of the last peple to worry about safetey eqipment ect . But after most of the noisy part of my life which were off season from the farm for me ..( Cabless D8's in the bush, Jack hammers and still my no1 winter job is chainsaws 7 days a week) Am blessed with tinnitus to the point i cant really watch TV any more , cant sleep without a fan or radio in the room and if at a party etc have to lip read the person i am speaking to . On top of that hyperacusis and sensative hearing , 20% loss in left ear and 40% in right . Just glad i dont have the dizzy and puking that my wifes friend has to go with it ... You get used to it but it can be ****....I will beat it into my boys if i have to !

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #58  
Think yoursel lucky . I am only 37 and was one of the last peple to worry about safetey eqipment ect . But after most of the noisy part of my life which were off season from the farm for me ..( Cabless D8's in the bush, Jack hammers and still my no1 winter job is chainsaws 7 days a week) Am blessed with tinnitus to the point i cant really watch TV any more , cant sleep without a fan or radio in the room and if at a party etc have to lip read the person i am speaking to . On top of that hyperacusis and sensative hearing , 20% loss in left ear and 40% in right . Just glad i dont have the dizzy and puking that my wifes friend has to go with it ... You get used to it but it can be ****....I will beat it into my boys if i have to !

Yeah... I hear ya..!! ;) Barely! I did the same kind of things growing up. Chainsaws, jackhammers, motorcycles (no helmet and no muffler) years of open-station tractors and brother's with buck fever letting loose with 30-06 and 243 about 18 inches from the side of my head! :mad:

Just spent nearly $4,000 for my new hearing aids a little over a week ago. I can hear the snow squeak when I walk outside, now. And the TV isn't turned up to 45 anymore. Thank God, I've finally got a cab tractor!

And I wear foam ear plugs AND muffs when I shoot at the range.

AKfish

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #59  
Who learned to drive-operate a tractor from the ground?? I started by standing between someones feet and steering, when my legs were long enough to reach the pedals I was pulling a wagon while the big guys were loading it. It was not a JOB it was a reward for being responsible, and I never had a accident--did get stuck (deep deep sand). I'm 64yrs old and I have had the pleasure of teaching every young person who comes along about driveing. My thinking is learning to drive a tractor, or other machinery is a first step to getting behind the wheel of some thing that goes faster than your mind can think!! There is very little in our world that is not learned by just being told, YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!!!

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #60  
My first time operating a tractor was at about 7or 8 yrs, on a Massey 35.

Didn't have enough weight in my butt to engage the clutch so had to stand on the pedal while pulling up on the steering wheel.