How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt?

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I was going to ask this in the highly controversial recent thread that shows a video with an operator demoing a shed with a kid on his tractor,but, i don't enjoy controversial threads and didn't want to continue it. Hopefully this one can be a general "discussion" and not turn into an argument. I'm just looking for people's honest opinions.

One MAJOR reason I would like a cab tractor (with buddy seat and seatbelt) is so that I can take my son along with me for minor tractor chores when he is older. I refuse to allow him on my tractor I have now because I have a non cab, and certainly non buddy seat, and I realize the danger of doing this. In fact, my father makes fun of me quite a bit because I won't allow him to take his grandson on my tractor, and he ALWAYS had me riding with him on equipment.

Do you think it is safe, and acceptable, to bring a child along with you in a tractor with a cab and buddy seat, with seat belt? This is assuming some standard generalizations about operations, such as, I would bring my son along with me when working on flat and level ground doing pretty standard things, like mowing, plowing snow, grappling brush piles and things like that. I would not be on the side of a slope, pushing over a tree, or things that are inherently more risky.

I'm specifically referring to something like a New Holland T4.75 or John Deere 5075 for example. These are available with a factory "instructor seat" and are designed to have someone in the cab along with the operator.

What's your opinion? I have a good idea that most people would think there is nothing wrong with this, and probably a few people who would under no circumstances allow a child in a tractor.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #2  
You sound like a pretty reasonable/responsible guy, that's what matters the most. I'll let the tractor owners tell you the same, though. :thumbsup:

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #3  
:thumbsup:Good Question

if there are passenger seats, seat belts & an enclosed cab qith secure doors it should be OK, provided you are confident you can assess & mitigate the risks in any specific tractor operation - also consider seemingly "innocent" activities like mowing can fling projectiles like rocks, metal sprinkler heads, sticks ...etc. straight through Cab glass/plexiglass with devastating results....mower guards or rear mesh on the cab may save the heartache...as does safety glasses & hearing protection worn in the cab....

Unfortunately farm machinery is very unforgiving for those who don't appreciate/respond to associated risks - it is not a spectator "sport" for anyone outside the confines & protection of an enclosed Cab with seat & seatbelt, children & adults alike.

IMO, as an operator of machinery you accept accountability for the safe use of that machinery, including ensuring any children (who often gain an "over confidence" around machinery from previously riding on tractors..etc) remain clear/safe of all operations - most critically during tractor manoeuvring/(un)hitching/reversing.

Yep growing up our children sure did a lot of quality time in tractor cabs with me, suitably restrained in a dedicated passenger seat/belt with eye & hearing protection, learning maintenance/operation/safety along the way. - becoming by their early teens competent/safe independent tractor operators.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #4  
You sound like a pretty reasonable/responsible guy, that's what matters the most.

didn't you see his avatar? :laughing:

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #5  
That makes me ascared

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #6  
As you describe it I see no problem with it and have done it myself, we had a buddy seat in our Case CX80 that my son installed for his kids. Our renters have had kids in his Ag tractors since they were small and they now work on the farm with their own kids. I really like the John Deere buddy seats and took some pictures of them not long ago, but can't find them now.

Our L5740 and M8540 don't have room in the cabs, so when working now the kids stay home.

I will add that whether a child belongs in the cab is dependent on the child and operator as well as the seat and other safety issues. I have grandchildren who can behave properly in a confined space and some that can't. Some operators handle distractions better than others as well.

Just my opinion and am open to suggestions and counterpoints.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #7  
I used to ride in an old 580C case backhoe all the time. There was a steel tool box on the "passenger" side of the machine and between my feet wedged against the operator's seat, and the track bar for the rear window, i was pretty well wedged in there. I cringe thinking about sitting on a metal tool box for any period of time now, but I'll tell you what. I learned very well how to operate those old 3 or 5 stick hoes depending on how you want to look at it. Now I will say, I was never allowed in the machine when we were loading or unloading off the trailer or during anything that required full attention to the operation at hand. I can't tell you how many hundreds of feet of digging or the number of trucks I sat and watched get loaded, but to this day, I love the smell of fresh dirt in the morning!!

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #8  
When I was a kid, I rode many hours with dad on the armrest of a 4640, 4440, 4450 and a 4040. All had a cab and was doing tillage and planting work. Now that half our fleet has buddy seats with seat belts and autosteer I take my daughter along with me. When you're out in the field for 15 hours a day for a month at a time, this is the best way for her to get one on one time with dad.

Don't get me wrong though, there are tasks on the farm where you should never have any passenger with you, such as mowing grass/hay, hauling hay on front end loader, applying anhydrous ammonia, etc. If eveyone would just use some common sense, there should be no problem with a passenger. That's the problem with todays society, there are a lot of people out there that don't think things thru before acting on it. If it's not written in black and white, they can't think it up on themselves.

/ How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #9  
Im 53 years old born in October, and i have been on a tractor with my dad since i was 2 months old. Dad had an old 39 Farmall H and a Farmall C, both with narrow front ends. I went everywhere and did everything with dad. Nothing ever happened to me because i had a dad who had Common Sense. As Roush9799 said, "If eveyone would just use some common sense, there should be no problem with a passenger.The problem with todays society, there are a lot of people out there that don't think things thru before acting on it. If it's not written in black and white, they can't think it up on themselves"
As years went on dad and i rode together all the time and as tractors got newer, fenders and buckets made better seats as we worked the fields. If i had to do all over again i would want it just the same, and because of my dad's actions with me, i am the way i am, a tractor lover, with way over 200,000 hours of safe operation under my belt. Thanks Dad, i sure do miss you!

Attachments

• Best Picture of my Dad 044.jpg
    Best Picture of my Dad 044.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 632
   / How do you feel about children in a CAB tractor with buddy seat and seatbelt? #10  
i ride the kids around on the tractor as long as i have nothing hooked to it if i have something behind it and pto running no way.