Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up
Looks like I have some options, although none are ideal.
Blueriver- so it's that simple... divide wheel centers by 2 and that's the optimum row spacing. My guess is that's going to be too tight. Might could consider it for my irrigated plots I suppose. Any thoughts on that spacing for corn? If I set my between row spacing at 25.60 I guess I could adjust my in row spacing to something farther apart to effectively end up with the same plant footprint as 30 inch centers.

Or, maybe I could twin row the corn. Have two rows very close together with a larger alleyway between. Anyone know of optimal spacing for this and/or if it could work/why I wouldn't want to do it. Seems like I could at least set up a cultivator relatively easily to work with whatever twin row spacing I come up with. If I were to set up for twin row, what is the closest distance I could get away with between the twins and still be able to cultivate between them?

Anyone know if 2 planters on a tool bar could be set for say 25"? Meaning, I'm sure there is some limit as to how close together you can put the planters together. Is there a magic minimum distance?

Artist- I'm right around the corner from you. Just outside of Bishopville. In the grand scheme of things, I'll only be planting max 2 acres of anything that needs to be planted. Right now I'm comfortable with "sticking" and transplanting ballpark 1/4 acre. Tried the earthway push planter last year for southern peas and went back to sticking it. Too much multilple seeds and skips. Part of my problem was I didn't prepare the soil good enough ahead of time though. Will probably try again this year. Seeing as you have good luck with it, only makes sense that I give it another try.

Wcambpell- I've been trying to make up my mind if I'm a complete idiot for breaking out my hand tiller when I've got a full size tiller and can buy a tractor drawn planter and cultivator to go behind my tractor, but for my 150' rows of my market garden at least, tilling, hand poking seed, and dropping in transplants, I'm just not sure it doesn't make the most sense. I have a wife and 2 boys that I can sometimes rope into helping so, it's just really not that bad. I like the idea of being able to twin row my lettuce and not twin row other crops. And now that I've moved off of trying to go to 30" centers to cram more stuff in there, I can come back later with my rototiller between the rows to clean things up. Also have been experimenting with allowing clover to grow between the tilled areas (row middles) this year. Once my plants start taking off and the clover gets out of control, I should be able to handle it ok with the tiller I hope, without too much moisture competition. The main reason I'm looking at tractor implements is for corn and okra. Planted about 1/4 acre okra with a stick last year, and although it was certainly manageable, it did seem a little tedious at times. Wondering how much I'm going to enjoy hand sticking that much okra plus twice that amount of corn in the next couple weeks..... Problem is, while I know it doesn't take that much time changing out tractor implements, that is not a lot of fun either. Just weighing my options here. BTW, since you have experience with both, how effective is cultivating with a tractor & a hoe vs cultivating with a rototiller & a hoe?

Tony cecil-
Sounds like you have your system down. So you don't put down any preplant fertilizer for your field corn (or do you just broadcast before making the beds) and wait till it's up to almost 2 feet before adding fertilizer? How many weeks +/-?. I don't think getting my crops planted on 30" centers is my problem anymore. It's more a problem of how to cultivate later after I get it planted without running over my crops. I'd be interested in your thoughts on my questions below about twin rowing corn.

vtsnowedin- 30" will fit for planting but will be very tight for cultivating later (about 4" between tire and seed/plant).

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #12  
E.myers- it is tricky but possible. You ask about twin row. Last year I experimented by building a bed (row) with my bedding machine without laying plastic. Then I planted twin rows on the 32" bed with a earth way push planted. I wanted to see how it grew for future planning. The crop did fantastic. Some of the best corn we had. I did hand weed it. My plan was to build the bed, plant corn with a yetter planter on a tool bar ( they can run very narrow spaced w/ their tight design), cultivate with a raised bed shaper cultivator ( buckeye tractor design), and after harvest mow the bed for fall crops plastic. Always experimenting, there are no rules! Have fun.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #13  
Emeyers, I hadn't noticed your location, Howdy neighbor!.

My planter does good but I'm only planting a few 40' rows. If your goal is 150' rows on 2 acres, yes, you need to figure it out and do it with the tractor. And if you are pushing a push plow while the tractor rests...yes...you might be a lil crazy...lol.

For what you talk of doing I think a spring tine cultivator would be your best bet. On the angle iron frame you've got a series of holes and you can move your plows to whatever configuration you need. But think of this in your planning. To be able to tractor cultivate it will cost you some planting space. If doing it by hand, you can plant closer together. Another thing to think of. You said you hate changing out your implements. If you single row some of your crop and double row other parts, unless you buy double equipment you'll have to constantly change your spacing on your planter and cultivator. Now that is a lot of work to me. I'd decide which way I wanted to do it and do it all the same.

You said you'd start out with 1/4 acre and work up to two acres. Go ahead and plan on planting that 1/4 acre on 1/2 acre and work it with your tractor. It will give you a lot more fishing time and you'll be less tired too.

Do you weld? If so, I built all my plowing and cultivating equipment. It works great and I have no plans of buying expensive factory made equipment. You're close enough to me I can show you mine if you are interested. My c-tine cultivator adjusts out or in with just the turn of a couple of bolts. Never seen one like it and wouldn't trade it for anything I've seen on the market.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #14  
Looks like I have some options, although none are ideal.
...snip.....
vtsnowedin- 30" will fit for planting but will be very tight for cultivating later (about 4" between tire and seed/plant).
If your L4400 is 4WD then the front tread can't be adjusted according to tractor data.com but the rear can be set to 60.5 inches. That would center the rears in the middle of 30" rows and the front 45.5" tread minus the six inch tire width would give you that 4.5 inch clearance on just the fronts which you can see while steering. That should work well if you cultivate when the corn is less then a foot high.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #15  
I plant with two tractors ... both are set with 60" center to center on the rear wheels and I plant 30" rows ... works for me. One runs a 2 row for the garden and the other a 6 row for the fields.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #16  
Planting corn at 30" rows has always been a farming standard typically. I don't know if it was because of the width of tractors or the pickers or what but you buy any old two row planter or cultivator it's usually set up at 30". If planter or cultivator is on a tool bar than you can really adjust to any width you like. I have heard of people planting corn at 18" spacing but never cultivate at that width with a tractor. The people I knew were using RR corn. I plant about 1 1/2 acres of corn with an old JD 290 corn planter and have a two row cultivator for weeding and it is set up for 30" rows. It definitely pays to take your time and set up some type of row marker for the way back. I can see why the old Allis Chalmers and Farmall Cubs had mid-mount cultivators because trying to keep the tractor straight and while keeping an eye on a three point cultivator is an art in itself.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #17  
because trying to keep the tractor straight and while keeping an eye on a three point cultivator is an art in itself.

You said that right super55.

/ Row Spacing & Planter/Cultivator Set up #18  
My 6 row has a marker mounted to the tractor front right side that rides over the row ... once all is set right just keep it on the row.