Best way to get rid of stumps?

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #1  

B7500

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HSD
I've got about 12 good size stumps after "thinning" out trees next to my camp. I know hiring an excavator would do the job but it would also be costly and probably would damage the trees I want to keep.
My B7500 with BH can manage the small ones but I'd be forever on the big stumps.
Any ideas?
-Terry

Attachments

• 300025-101_0166.jpg
    300025-101_0166.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 732
   / Best way to get rid of stumps?
Close up..

Attachments

• 300027-101_0167.jpg
    300027-101_0167.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 693
   / Best way to get rid of stumps? #3  
You could rent a stump grinder. They can grind a stump well below ground level, so you don't have to worry about them again, and there won't be any hole to fill in either. Just a thought.

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #4  
Maybe rent an industrial backhoe for weekend & have some fun?

Get a backhoe in there, dig em up, push stumps over to the side (or a burning pit??), put dirt back, then hop on your CUT & boxblade & make it all pretty as a picture!

That's what I'd do, but then, I used my industrial backhoe to dig a hole to transplant wife's day lillies.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(the things we are willing to admit here as long as wife's aren't looking) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #5  
depends how fast u want them out? like otheres have said u can rent something to remove them , but there are products out there that will kill them and allow u to burn them in place . takes awhile , but if u ain't in a hurry they work.ain't as much fun as a big BH but is a bit less expensive.

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #6  
I'd burn them if I wasn't going to build anything on their location. If you plan to put in a road or building, then dig and refill with clean dirt. Not branches in the fill. If possible, add lots of water to your fill as it's going in to aid in compaction.

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #7  
Sometimes you can find someone with a stump grinder that will do it pretty cheap. Doesn't leave a big mess either.

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #8  
I don't know how the State of NY feels about this, but here in TN we burn them. Get about a pound of saltpeter (Sodium nitrate), per stump, drill a 1" hole down through the center of the stump about a feet deep. Drill two more holes from opposite sides on a diagonal so they intercept the first hole. Fill them with the saltpeter, and either water it in or wait about a week after a rain. Fill the holes with diesel fuel, and light 'em. Don't do this under electric power lines, you'll cause a relay. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Potassium nitrate will work just about as well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #9  
SC252ActionWeb72DPI.jpg

Rent a Vermeer Stump Cutter the best one in the industry. Vermeer MFG

/ Best way to get rid of stumps? #10  
Im in the same boat and was initially thinking about renting s small excavater. However, I have a few more than 12 stumps (almost 3x that number) and Im sure I couldnt get them all out in a w/e. Around here a small excavater goes for about $200/day. Thats alot of money to shell out for getting rid of stumps. I saw a couple mentions abotu grinders but I have no experience w/ them. How quickly can them grind off a stump? jimg