Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #11  
4wd or MFWD (different names) to state all 4 wheels get power most likely wanted.

transmission type, (stay away from manual gear), and get something that is more automatic, like HST (hydrostatic transmission), or CVT or some such that may offer a low and high gear option, but beyond that it is a foot pedal or lever to speed up / slow down and/or change direction (forward or backwards)

turf tires can work for some folks, other times R4 tires, other times it is just going with R1 tires, and staying off the lawn until it has sufficient time to dry out.

SCUT (sub compact utilty tractors) and CUT (compact utility tractors)
SCUTS always remind me of an over sized riding lawn mower tractor on steroids.

if ya jump to say CUT style tractors you normally get into a different "sub frame work" that is higher off the ground. most likely more options for what comes pre-installed for 3pt hitch. and remote hydraulic valves for 3pt hitch implements. you also tend to get a higher weight. weight can be critical pending on what you are doing. more weight the better many times.

20 to 30HP would most likely give you enough options to find something that will work for ya. 7 acres is not a lot of acres. and trying to go real big, vs spending a little more time with smaller tractor. i would say go with smaller size tractor. it just means say cutting up a tree a tad more before skidding it out of the tree area, or taking a little more time to till garden, etc....

Tractor And Skid Steer Attachments For All Tractor And Skid Steer Manufacturers has a wide list of stuff for tractors. and can be a good place to start to see what is out there for various tasks. and what might be recommended HP of tractor engine and/or PTO HP.

===========
i would most likely stay away from a "skid steer" and go with a tractor. and if going with smaller size tractor. save up projects, that might require a backhoe or like. and just "rent a mini-ex" (mini excavator) for a weekend or like. to say dig up tree stumps, or put in a trench for some sort of pipe, or a culvert or like.

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #12  
And another point I forgot to mention - it's best to plan on getting two tractors if you can afford the space and money. The second does not need anywhere as much capability, could be 2WD, no FEL. Or maybe line up a neighbor you can borrow one from at a short notice.

Because tractors are like chainsaws, sometimes you REALLY need a second one when you get the first one stuck :)

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #13  
I'll add that if you have 7 acres - I'd look into a RFM or MMM as well If you are mowing more then 1 acre even if it less then 3.. I know that you said you have a 38" mower and it s a great machine but it has it place like close quarters areas. I am willing to bet that if you bundle the implements, it will be cheaper and you will be amazed on how much time and fuel you save mowing with a RFM/MMM.

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #14  
transmission type, (stay away from manual gear)...

Why do you say that, Ryan? I have conditions not too different from that the OP describes, and am very happy with my JD 870, with manual transmission.

Another posted asked about the terrain, which the OP hasn't yet responded to. My place is quite steep in places so I'd note that going to a size/model that allows the wheels to be set to a wide stance is essential in such terrain. Different conditions might require different capabilities.

Terry

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #15  
Why do you say that, Ryan? I have conditions not too different from that the OP describes, and am very happy with my JD 870, with manual transmission.

Another posted asked about the terrain, which the OP hasn't yet responded to. My place is quite steep in places so I'd note that going to a size/model that allows the wheels to be set to a wide stance is essential in such terrain. Different conditions might require different capabilities.

Terry
i simply do not think manual transmissions are useful. for many things i have done here on the farm. from operating the FEL (front end loader), to operating the 3pt hitch, to steering wheel. both hands just tied up, and not another hand for a gear shifter.
one foot normally covering brakes, while other is on the fuel pedal (hst pedal), go pedal, what ever you want to call it. i have no other feet to press a clutch pedal if clutch pedal is used after starting tractor.

ya manual transmissions do put a little bit more HP down to the tires. but for a multi use tractor, that are constantly seeing speed changes and direction of change. and if using FEL for say loading up a pickup truck with something, and ya got that 1" before ya nail side of truck. i just will not put money on a manual transmission and causing a "slight roll" and running into side of truck. i would place money on more of an automatic transmission like a HST.

trying to line up a PHD (post hole digger), trying to change gears as needed to deal with hills, and chancing a "free wheeling" going down hill. being able match speed to weeds and thickness of weeds in a given spot on the fly while using a bush hog. give me something else than a manual transmission.

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #16  
First suggestion - about 26HP/22HP PTO

/edit - that was minimum
now to specifics -
Any prior tractor experience?
What are your closest dealers?
Are you good a wrenching?
What's the terrain like? Flat? Hilly? Swampy?
Will you be doing forestry type work other than the 2 acres? (2 acres doesn't quite justify a big chipper in my mind)
Taking care of large livestock?
Need to plow dirt? Snow?
And how big is the wallet for this excellent adventure?

If you can buy used your dollar may go a lot farther, but if you have to haul it to a dealer and pay for repairs the savings goes away quickly.

To me anything under 50HP should have HST and 4WD. If you are only thinning 2 acres a 30HP or less may suffice. If you plan on hauling many logs around look for something that can handle a ton on the 3PT at least.

There are four major brands I'd consider -
John Deere (dear as in expensive)
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra

Good post!

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #17  
Just my experience. In 2002 we bought 6 acres and I bought a JD 4410 4wd HST with FEL and a 6' RFM. Used that tractor 2 years getting everything accomplished that I needed to do, fence, clearing, etc. After the two years of work the tractor kind of sat as the fencing required a smaller mower and all the big work was basically finished, so the 4410 was sold.

A week ago I ran across a New Holland TZ25DA scout, 4wd, 60"mmm and FEL. We have about a acre of woods I need to clean out but not strip. The 4410 was always to big to use in the area as are bobcats. The scut will get in there no problem and be much better than a wheelbarrow. AND, it will replace my JD 322 for cutting duties.

As for the tractor itself, I think it is going to be a great tractor. It had been neglected but after some heavy maintenance I think it is going to suit my needs well.

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #18  
Can anyone recommend a website that can help me determine best subcompact tractor to purchase for my property situation...fist time purchase.

MCG

As you can see, plenty of knowledgeable advice here on TBN. But reading other people's opinions about something can only take you so far on an expensive product whose satisfactory performance will depend a lot on your own personal situation and preferences. So take all this good advice to heart, but plan to get your own skin in the game, as they say, by getting your hands and your fanny in personal touch with some of this equipment. This is not stuff you can really understand and make wise choices about until you've actually operated it yourself. Good luck!

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #19  
i have no other feet to press a clutch pedal if clutch pedal is used after starting tractor.

The HST can take the place of both the clutch and the brake and the shifter all at once. Very handy. And if you have hills, a clutch can get you into some real interesting situations. Can't go any higher, clutch, and all of a sudden you can go higher cuz you ARE lower having rolled backwards quickly. Let out the clutch to catch it and you're in a wheelie. Let the good times roll!

/ Advice for websites to assist in selecting first subcompact tractor...size and make #20  
We have 10 acres here and I own a 20hp Kioti CK20. It is small enough to clean out our barn, (5 horses) large enough to lift large round bales (700lbs) off trailer and carry to feeding location. I have used with 5' rear finish mower (usually mow with zero turn), 4' bush hog, 5' aerator, 5' rock or root rake, 5' blade. The small but very capable tractor completes all my tasks with ease. I love the fact it is small enough to maneuver around barn and property and large enough to move 1000lbs in the bucket. It's a gear tractor, I have never been on a hydro tractor, so I have nothing to compare to other than to say I have very little problems. It uses very little fuel (about 5 gals in 7-8 hrs of use). 2007 model with 550 hrs and no problems. Go set on a few and see what makes you happy (with dealer and tractor).

Eddie