John Deere 2020

/ John Deere 2020 #1  

TATE1974

Tractor
john deere 2020, 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee
I recently bought a John Deere 2020 from a neighbor for $500.. It had been in the barn and not been started for a few years. I put air in the tires, checked the fluid levels, dragged it outside, and hooked up jumper cables.. Turning the key did nothing but leaving the key in the on position and touching the jumper cable to the starter did wonders.. Much to my surprise, with a slight turn of the engine, it fired up and idled like it had just been turned off... I immediately climbed aboard and headed for the house.. When I got home I turned the key off and it wouldn't die!!! Does anyone know of a switch or pull lever that would turn it off.. The only tractor I have ever had is my trusty old Jubilee and this diesel is foreign to me....:confused3:

/ John Deere 2020 #2  
I recently bought a John Deere 2020 from a neighbor for $500.. It had been in the barn and not been started for a few years. I put air in the tires, checked the fluid levels, dragged it outside, and hooked up jumper cables.. Turning the key did nothing but leaving the key in the on position and touching the jumper cable to the starter did wonders.. Much to my surprise, with a slight turn of the engine, it fired up and idled like it had just been turned off... I immediately climbed aboard and headed for the house.. When I got home I turned the key off and it wouldn't die!!! Does anyone know of a switch or pull lever that would turn it off.. The only tractor I have ever had is my trusty old Jubilee and this diesel is foreign to me....:confused3:

There should be a fuel shut off knob (orange in color) that you pull out and hold until engine stops running. It should be on the right side of dash. On my 2155 Deere it's on the very top of dash. Im thinking it's it's a lttile lower down on yours but dont remember for sure. You can trace the cable from the fuel pump back to the dash if the knob is missing and you dont see it sticking out of dash. You stole that tractor for $500 bucks. If something is mechanically wrong with it at the price you should have some room to spend some money on it.

/ John Deere 2020 #3  
Most of your old diesel tractors out there (Ford,MF, Deere, IH, etc.) have some type of fuel shut off for them. It's only the newer machines you can kill the fuel to the pump by turning off the key switch. Make sure you use only Deere Hygard fluild in it or another really good brand that is compatible with wet brakes cause im pretty sure it has wet brakes and use a good antifreese with a conditioner for cavitation in the system.

/ John Deere 2020
Yes I was actually looking for a T handle or something of that nature to pull out kind of like a old dump truck I used to drive had but I see nothing.. If you follow the rods off the fuel pump, one goes up to the dash throttle and there is another that goes to a foot throttle on the right side.. There are no other rods or cables on the pump or places for any to hook up... Could the throttle lever on the dash possibly be what shuts the fuel off and kills it?? Mabe out of adjustment??

/ John Deere 2020 #5  
All our 2020's had small black pull stop very low down below your knee .

/ John Deere 2020 #6  
   / John Deere 2020 #7  
Don't know about the 2020 specifically but the 820, 3020 and 4020 series all had the electrical shut dowm through the key switch. Do you have the electrical wire running to the injector pump? I should also add that I have had a few times over the uears when my 820 didn't shut down right away, wouldn't be too suprized by that.

/ John Deere 2020 #8  
Yes I was actually looking for a T handle or something of that nature to pull out kind of like a old dump truck I used to drive had but I see nothing.. If you follow the rods off the fuel pump, one goes up to the dash throttle and there is another that goes to a foot throttle on the right side.. There are no other rods or cables on the pump or places for any to hook up... Could the throttle lever on the dash possibly be what shuts the fuel off and kills it?? Mabe out of adjustment??

On my 4020, there is a knob on the end of the throttle lever. If you pull that knob out a bit, then you can move the lever the rest of the way to shut off the fuel.

/ John Deere 2020 #9  
On my 4020, there is a knob on the end of the throttle lever. If you pull that knob out a bit, then you can move the lever the rest of the way to shut off the fuel.

That is how the several 4020 tractors I been around shut off.

/ John Deere 2020 #10  
I have a 1970 model 2020.It shuts off when you turn off the key. One of the best tractors JD ever built.