Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side

/ Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side #1  

Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I spent almost $10,000 in the last 2 weeks working on my Rail Side to keep my track in top shape. My cars average about 160,000 lbs and do a number on the rail pushing into the curve. I'm taking down a bunch of trees and clearing as much as I can to keep the area as dry as possible.

48a1bca5f38f40ba588a28bb55338323.jpg

9c458a95ca46a7aeef7f1fb3579b9de1.jpg

0c2bb672be454ed1617a306a4a0f4626.jpg

/ Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side #2  
Do you load timber on to rail cars?

/ Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side
   / Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side #5  
What is the weight of the rail in your siding?
Hopefully over 100lb especially is you have a tight curve also gauge bars can be helpful to keep the gauge in spec

What is the weight of the rail in your siding?
Hopefully over 100lb especially is you have a tight curve also gauge bars can be helpful to keep the gauge in spec

273,000 lbs is my gross limit. I did just have my gauge rest on one curve for about 50 yards and had all new gauge rods installed. that was almost 4 grand itself with no ties replaced.

/ Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side #7  
"273,000 lbs is my gross limit. I did just have my gauge rest on one curve for about 50 yards and had all new gauge rods installed. that was almost 4 grand itself with no ties replaced."

Hi glad to hear you use the rods they do help with the gauge
I guess the RR that services you wants no part of a siding agreement as that must be a thing of the past
Do they switch the cars for you or do you have a trackmobile or frontend loader to move them yourself?
I was wondering about the weight of the actual "rail" itself if its 100-110-120 lb rail ?
I assume its jointed not welded but the heavier the rail the easier it is to maintain and holds a lot weight especially if your handling 89ft lumber cars or your paper comes in the the high cube double plug door cars.
Thanks

I got a lot done today, they are taking the track out of service tomorrow so I'll be able to drop trees across the track. I took at least 20 trees down today, mostly Birch. I want to get a much sun and air moving through there as possible.

/ Loaded up the tractor to take to work again today to work on my rail side #9  
No I off load spools of Paper but I do share my rail with a Lumber company.
Thanks for explaining, the post combined with your name got me curious. I hope all that money you spent pays off.