JD 1050 Fuel filter housing

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #1  

farmgirl19

Tractor
1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery
OK, so the JD 1050 has gone for 27 years, without an issue, other than oil changes, etc. Now, it has surprised me with a leak around the air bleed screws of the fuel finlter housing. Manual says, it may be necessary at some point to repair this, so not unexpected, given its age.

Problem is, mounting screw has about "grown" in place, so I can't get the darn thing off to change the O rings. Anyone have a favorite trick to break a bolt/screw loose without harming anything else (including me)?

I won't need to put out any more round bales of hay, this winter, unless this stinking weather comes back next week. I will need to begin brush hogging in about 3 weeks, so have time to repair all of these O rings, do an oil change, get a new battery (the one in it is old), and new front tires, to have it ready to go for another 10-15 years!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #2  
Since it has fuel in it you can't heat it with a flame. You can however, pour hot water on the bleed screw and that might help. Use a 6 point box wrench on the bleed screw so you don't strip the head. After that, it's just muscle. If you can slip a small diameter "cheater" pipe over the end of the wrench, you can develop more torque.

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #3  
you can replace entire housing from hoye tractor for about $40, might be easier....

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #4  
If you have a corded or cordless hammer drill, place the necessary bit in it and while in "hammer" mode, back the screw out. On some drills, they may not work in hammer mode reversed... I'd then use an impact gun if that fails. I'm assuming yours is held on by the one screw as my 750 is? Looks like a # 10 or 12 metric.

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #5  
I have a 950, think it's the same as your 1050. Best to start off with a small strap wrench, this should more than do it. Hoye might have a new one $40 or so, I just bought the whole assembly with the filter from JD for $40-50, not to pricy a item. By the parts book, your 1050 uses the same assembly. New one might cure any leaks at the same time,
Chris

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing
Thanks, everyone! I was hoping that I could replace the entire housing, instead of just the "O" rings. I figure I'd have to replace them all, because knowing my luck, if I just replaced the rings for the bleed screws, the fuel shut off would begin leaking the next week!

In my manual, a lot of items are the same on the 850, 950 and 1050. Makes it nice, as common parts will be in more demand, therefore easier to obtain, and cheaper.

Now, if things will just warm enough that I don't whine about having to be in the cold, working on the thing. I don't mind 100*, but anything below 50 is just too blasted cold! :rolleyes:

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #7  
Thanks, everyone! I was hoping that I could replace the entire housing, instead of just the "O" rings. I figure I'd have to replace them all, because knowing my luck, if I just replaced the rings for the bleed screws, the fuel shut off would begin leaking the next week!

In my manual, a lot of items are the same on the 850, 950 and 1050. Makes it nice, as common parts will be in more demand, therefore easier to obtain, and cheaper.

Now, if things will just warm enough that I don't whine about having to be in the cold, working on the thing. I don't mind 100*, but anything below 50 is just too blasted cold! :rolleyes:

Minus 15F here this morning.. But, the sun is just blazing and the sky is blue, blue, blue! :thumbsup: Need to finish up on my road clearing project, today. Knock down a handful of trees and clear the branches out.

50F - that's when I throw on a windbreaker... :laughing:

AKfish

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing
AK, I don't think I'd survive up your way! I went from Texas to Oregon one year to do some hang gliding, and almost froze. I left 100*, and arrived in Portland to 60*. Under normal circumstances, 60 isn't bad, but a 40 degree drop in less than 2 hours left me unable to get warm. Luckily, jumping off of the 500' sand dune, with the glider strapped on me helped. (Or was it the hike up the dune carrying the thing?)

I loved my visits to AK, all 4 locations, but always felt cold. Was in Fairbanks and Anchorage first, then another year went to Ketchikan. Fortunately, it was logging season there, and busy, so that led me to hop a float plane over to Bell Island. Talk about getting away from it all! Enjoyed every minute of it!

/ JD 1050 Fuel filter housing #9  
Well, you've seen a lot more of Alaska than I've seen of Texas! Drove across the panhandle once. Hilly as I recall; hard to believe for me... And Oak trees (kinda short and brushy), too! Red dirt - dang! All kinds of weird things! Canada geese. They were huntin' them! It wasn't that hot, either... so, everything wasn't the fault of a heatstroke! :laughing:

Liked it.. really interesting country! Not what I was expecting - that's for sure.

Float plane, huh? They're fun! 'Cept when the wind comes up and the waves are poundin' the floats and the water's sprayin' up onto the windshield.. and you're hopin' to just get airborne!

AKfish