Tier 4 Compact Tractor Engines

/ Tier 4 Compact Tractor Engines #1  

fordmantpw

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
Hello all! I currently have a Kubota BX2200, but I'm going to be in the market for a new compact tractor in the next year or so (currently researching brands/models), and I'm interested in the changes in the new Tier 4 engines. Are they going to have DPF's on them similar to the new trucks? Will they require diesel exhaust fluid? Are they adding considerable costs to the tractors? I'm going to be looking at 26-30 HP models, and if the new engines are going to add considerable cost, I would consider buying sooner.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to learning a lot on this site! :thumbsup:

/ Tier 4 Compact Tractor Engines #2  
If you're stepping up in that hp range you may want to consider buying before the tier 4 stuff comes out. There will be a considerable pricing increase, across the board not just any one brand. I'm hearing 15-20% increase. I've seen them, I would buy early. Lots of stuff happening on that little engine. Also, the compacts I have seen will have a DPF filter.
In theory, you shouldn't have to do anything but run it, but like the new diesel trucks, I would think idle time must be kept to a minimum and they will need to be pushed hard to help keep the filter clean otherwise you can run into issues.

/ Tier 4 Compact Tractor Engines
I've got the DPF on my truck, and the only real issue I've seen is fuel consumption, and the fact that it quite often seems to go into regen when I'm pulling into my driveway. But, I've also got a short commute each day, and the only real "load" on my truck is pulling the fifth wheel several times in the summer. I was hoping the little tractors wouldn't need the DPF so I could avoid these couple issues, but sounds like they won't. Guess I better step up my research a bit...

/ Tier 4 Compact Tractor Engines #4  
The indirect injection engines are requiring less to make them compliant then the direct injection engines. For Direct injection engines the DPf is the best alternative! Kubota has not had to go to it yet but who knows with tier 5! There were some changes in the exhaust system to the Kubotas.